Spiders take down UMass in A-10 Semifinals

<p>The University of Richmond men’s lacrosse team defeats the University of Massachusetts in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament May 4.&nbsp;</p>

The University of Richmond men’s lacrosse team defeats the University of Massachusetts in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament May 4. 

The University of Richmond men’s lacrosse team defeated the University of Massachusetts 15-8 in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament May 4. 

After posting a 9-4 regular season record and a 4-1 conference record, the Spiders earned the No. 2 seed in the A-10 Tournament. In the past, the Spiders competed in the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2014 when the program began and the Southern Conference from 2015 to 2022. In May of 2022, the A-10 formed a men’s lacrosse league

In the first quarter, the Spiders got off to a quick start, scoring four goals compared to the Minutemen’s one. Senior attacker Dalton Young, who won A-10 Offensive Player of the Year and made the First Team All-A-10, scored two of his five goals in the first 15 minutes of regulation and assisted on one goal. 

“[Young’s] a great captain, he’s a great player, he plays his heart out and we’re really blessed to have him in our program and he’s a big part of just our culture and who we are,” UR head coach Dan Chemotti said after the game, speaking about Young’s performance. 

The second quarter proved more evenly matched, as UMass was able to score three goals. However, UR continued its offensive push and scored four more goals to jump ahead 8-4 heading into halftime. 

In quarter three, the Spiders wasted no time picking up where they left off as first-year attacker Aidan O’Neil, who won A-10 Rookie of the Year and made the All-A-10 Rookie Team, scored at the 13:40 after another dish from Young. UR scored four more unanswered goals and at the 6:07 mark of the third quarter led UMass 13-4. 

UR scored two more goals in the final quarter of regulation, with its final score coming from junior midfielder Lance Madonna, who won A-10 Midfield Player of the Year and made the First Team All-A-10, with 1:53 remaining in the game to cement the team’s victory and earn a spot in the A-10 championship game. 

On the day, Young led the way with five goals and three assists. Lance Madonna scored three goals and graduate attacker/midfielder Derrek Madonna, junior attacker Luke Grayum and O’Neil each chipped in two goals. 

Defensively, graduate defender Jake Saunders, who made the First Team All-A-10 and was drafted by the Las Vegas Desert Dogs of the NLL back in September 2022, picked up three ground balls and caused three turnovers. Redshirt sophomore goalie Zach Vigue had 11 saves on the day. 

“We supported each other defensively for pretty much 60 minutes,” Chemotti said. “I thought that was terrific. And when that happens, I was telling somebody else, it just allows your offense to just play like a little more free, take a couple more risks.”

UR will play High Point University at home at 12 p.m. May 6 as the team looks to win the first ever men’s lacrosse A-10 championship. 

The Spiders and Panthers have faced off against each other 15 times since UR’s inaugural season in 2014. UR has won 11 of the 15 matchups and has won the last three games against HPU, the most recent back on April 15 at E. Claiborne Robins Stadium. 

“The rivalry that we’ve created with them, honestly it’s something special to be a part of and there’s nothing like playing in a game like this, championship against those guys, I mean, it’s what you come to [UR] to do,” Young said. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu.