Field Hockey loses first game of the season in overtime

<p>University of Richmond field hockey team at Crenshaw field August 25 during game against Longwood. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

University of Richmond field hockey team at Crenshaw field August 25 during game against Longwood. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

The University of Richmond field hockey team took to Crenshaw Field for the first time this season on Aug. 25 with a game against Longwood University. 

UR was able to tie things up in the fourth period and force an extra 10 minutes of play in overtime, but ultimately, the Spiders were unable to stop the Lancers, thus extending their season opener losing streak to nine seasons. The last time UR won the first game of the season was in 2015 in a 2-1 victory over American University. 

The Spiders put the Lancers on their heels early as junior forward Stevie Drum was able to get a shot 43 seconds into regulation, but like many of UR’s 13 total shots, six of which were on goal, the ball did not reach the back of the net. 

Despite the loss, on the day, UR totaled three more shots than Longwood and set up six penalty corners to the Lancers’ five. Senior forward Madi Hyatt and senior midfielder Cori Nichols led the way with two shots apiece. 

Defensively, redshirt sophomore goalie Kristen Rake, who played 55 of the total 70 minutes in the contest notched four saves on the evening. 

Senior midfielder Kaitlyn Csensits scored UR’s only goal of the game, which came with just under three minutes remaining in regulation. Csensits’ goal forced overtime where things stayed tied up until with a minute and 10 seconds left, the Lancers found the back of the net to emerge victorious. 

The Spiders are coming off a 6-12 season last year. With key contributors like midfielder Lindsey Frank and goalie Erika Latta lost to graduation, only time will tell how returning players and first-year players will step up in their absence. 

“I think we just have this grit, this want, this need to get some wins underneath our belt this year,” Csensits said in a preseason interview. “And I think this past Spring we had a shift in attitude into wanting to attack every single game and every single training.”

UR’s next game is at home against James Madison University at 2 p.m. Aug. 27, which will be the Spiders’ second game in a four-game home stretch to start the season. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu.