Spiders drop first game of the season against William & Mary

<p>Midfielder Cameryn Sicard passes at home game against William and Mary Aug. 24. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Midfielder Cameryn Sicard passes at home game against William and Mary Aug. 24. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

After a win against Longwood University in their season opener and a tie versus the University of Nevada in their home opener, the University of Richmond women’s soccer team lost their first game of the season 1-0 at home against the College of William & Mary Aug. 24. 

The Spiders were unable to control the game offensively, as the Tribe executed the first corner kick of the game almost 10 minutes into the first period. The Tribe then got on the scoreboard, scoring the only goal of the game just over 14 minutes into regulation. 

Throughout the match, senior goalie Taylor Montague had four saves. William & Mary’s lone goal was her first allowed this season and first goal allowed since the Spiders’ 2022 regular season finale loss against Loyola University Chicago last year. 

In the first half, the Spiders had two shots, whereas the Tribe had four. By period two, the Spiders only had two more shots while the Tribe added 14 for a total of 17 shots. 

Throughout the contest, two of UR’s and four of William & Mary’s shots were on goal. William & Mary outperformed UR in the corner kicks column as well, attempting five to the Spiders’ four. 

UR has yet to score a goal this season since their lone score against Longwood Aug. 17, which was a little over nine minutes into regulation. 

In an interview before the season began, UR head coach Adam Denton said the team had to continue to build their confidence throughout the fall season.

“That’s tough, because everything’s riding on every game,” Denton said, referring to building confidence. “But we’ve gotta be mentally strong to continue to work through the challenges we face, and then if we have a poor performance or a poor game, it shouldn’t reflect on the next game.”

This was the last game in UR’s two-game home stand. The Spiders’ next game is away against Old Dominion University at 6 p.m. Aug. 27. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu