Sunday, April 28, 2024

Field hockey takes down Saint Louis on Senior Day

<p>Senior midfielder Cori Nichols during game against St. Louis Sept. 24. Photo courtesy of Richmond Atheltics.</p>

Senior midfielder Cori Nichols during game against St. Louis Sept. 24. Photo courtesy of Richmond Atheltics.

Tropical Storm Ophelia was no match for the Spiders as the University of Richmond field hockey team defeated Saint Louis University 5-2 in a rainy matchup at Crenshaw Field Sept. 23.

Before the game, UR celebrated its Senior Day and honored the program’s seven graduating seniors, defender Olivia De Cain, forward Madi Hyatt, midfielder Ella Hayes, midfielder Kaitlyn Csensits, midfielder Cori Nichols, midfielder Alexandria Lavelle and graduate student forward Lily Saunders. 

“It was an exciting day for the team,” UR Head Coach Jamie Montgomery said after the game. “We braved the elements and got to celebrate our seniors in a great game against Saint Louis.”

The Spiders got things started early offensively as a penalty corner led to a goal from junior midfielder Annie Nash almost three and a half minutes into the first period. Csensits and Lavelle assisted on the goal that put UR up 1-0. On the day, UR took 15 penalty corners to Saint Louis’ three. 

In period two, the Spiders took five shots before tallying their second goal on the day. This time around, it was junior forward Stevie Drum who reached the back of the net off an assist from Hyatt. 

UR then scored two goals in the third period within two minutes of each other to add to its total. De Cain scored the first goal — the first of her career, and Lavelle scored the second, adding to the already successful senior day game for the duo. 

“It was my first goal ever, actually, so it was awesome,” De Cain said after the game. “I kept saying that it was senior day so I had to do something — something big.”

UR outshot Saint Louis 27-6 and had 19 shots on goal compared to Saint Louis’ four. Redshirt sophomore goalie Kristen Rake had one save on the day. 

The Billikens eventually got on the board themselves, scoring two minutes into the final period of play off a penalty stroke. Just over four minutes later, Saint Louis reached the back of the net again, making the score 4-2. 

However, despite the Billikens’ fourth-quarter surge, the Spiders went on to score one more time to deal the victory. Nichols tallied the final score of the game as time elapsed off an assist from sophomore midfielder Jess McMeeking. 

This marks the Spiders’ fourth straight win and second win against an Atlantic 10 opponent this season. Coming into the game, UR picked up consecutive wins against The University of California, Davis, Davidson College and The Queens University of Charlotte, outsourcing opponents 9-3 over the three-game stretch. 

UR is 6-3 on the season with nine regular-season games remaining in its schedule.

“It’s been a good couple of games,” Montgomery said. “I’ve been really impressed with the way that the girls have taken on especially this middle part of the season.” 

UR’s next game is at home against Lock Haven University at 5 p.m. Sept. 29. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu.