Spider Sports Recap | Week of Sept. 18

<p>Junior defender Elle Dziadzio during game against La Salle Sept. 24. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Junior defender Elle Dziadzio during game against La Salle Sept. 24. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

Women’s Soccer

Sept 21: Loss 1-0 vs. George Mason University 

The University of Richmond women’s soccer team lost its fourth consecutive game of the season against the George Mason Patriots. The Spiders were held scoreless during the 90 minutes of play, which is the seventh time UR has been unable to add goals to the board. George Mason scored the only goal of the game in the 24th minute to win 1-0. The Spiders attempted 15 shots, taking eight in the first half and seven in the second. Graduate midfielder Caitlin Sutton attempted five shots for UR, the most on the day for either team. The Spiders moved to 2-6-3 as they searched for the first conference win of the season.

Sept. 24: Loss 3-0 vs. La Salle University

The Spiders lost their fifth straight game, falling to 2-7-3 on the season. UR was shut out for the second game in a row, still in search of their first conference win. La Salle entered halftime leading 1-0 after a goal during the 40th minute. The Explorers scored two more goals in the second half to seal the victory 3-0. UR will face off against St. Bonaventure University at 2 p.m. Oct. 1.

Field Hockey

Sept. 23: Win 5-2 vs. Saint Louis University 

The Spiders are rolling! UR earned its fourth straight win with a 5-2 victory over Saint Louis on senior day. Junior midfielder Annie Nash opened up with a goal in the fourth minute of the first period, assisted by senior midfielder Alexandria Lavelle and senior midfielder Kaitlyn Csensits.  Junior forward Stevie Drum added on with a goal in the second period, assisted by senior forward Madi Hyatt, to take a 2-0 lead. In the opening minutes of the second half, senior defender Olivia De Cain and Lavelle scored back-to-back goals on corner plays to extend the Spiders’ lead to 4-0. The Billikens responded with two goals in the fourth, but UR would tally another goal that period, coming from senior midfielder Cori Nichols and assisted by sophomore midfielder Jess McMeeking, to take a decisive 5-2 victory. The Spiders look to continue their hot streak at 5 p.m. Sept. 29  against Lock Haven University, the team's Lace Up 4 the Cure game. 

Football

Sept. 23: Win 20-19 vs. Stony Brook University

The Spiders headed up to New York to battle against Stony Brook for the start of conference play. Stony Brook took a 3-0 lead over the Spiders after a successful 24-yard field goal attempt. UR responded with a 19-yard field goal from redshirt junior kicker Andrew Lopez to tie the game 3-3 in the second quarter. Richmond took a 10-3 lead in the same quarter with a 56-yard pass from redshirt junior quarterback Jackson Hardy to redshirt junior wide receiver Nick DeGennaro and an extra point completion from Lopez. Stony Brook would go on to tie the game 10-10 entering halftime. In the third, redshirt senior running back Savon Smith completed a 36-yard touchdown run followed by another Lopez extra point. In the fourth, Stony Brook scored on an interception and field goal attempt to take a 19-17 lead. In the final minute of the quarter, Lopez would kick the decisive 28-yard field goal to give the Spiders a 20-19 victory. UR moves to 2-2 on the season and looks to extend their win streak to three at 2 p.m. Sept. 30 against Hampton University.

Men’s Golf

Sept. 18-19: Virginia Commonwealth University Shootout

The Spiders tied for sixth in the VCU Shootout. Junior Cole Ekert led the way for the Spiders with a second-place finish, shooting 13 under par. Junior Patrick Isztwan tied for 19th place, tallying a 5 under par for UR. Graduate student Lou Baker ended the shootout with an even par, tying for 44th place. The Spiders will head to Rockville, Maryland Oct. 15-16 for the Georgetown Intercollegiate.

Contact sports writer Anabella Pelaez at anabella.pelaez@richmond.edu.