Spider Sports Recap | Week of Sept. 4

<p>Junior defender Sofia Mancino during game against American University on Sept. 7. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Junior defender Sofia Mancino during game against American University on Sept. 7. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

Women’s Soccer

Sept. 7: Win 2-1 vs. American University 

The women’s soccer team picked up its second win of the season against American. This was the team’s first win since Aug. 17 at Longwood. The first 45 minutes of play went scoreless, as UR only attempted one shot in the first half. Graduate forward Molly Wierman opened up the scoring for the Spiders at 51:17, giving UR a 1-0 lead over the Eagles. Junior defender Sofia Mancino got involved in the action with a goal of her own nearing the 82nd minute of play to make it a 2-0 UR lead. American scored two minutes later, but the Spiders emerged victorious. Graduate midfielder Caitlin Sutton recorded two assists in the game. The outcome took the Spiders to 2-2-3 on the season.

Sept. 10: Loss 3-2 versus University of North Carolina at Charlotte

The Spiders lost a tough matchup against the Charlotte 49ers on senior day. Charlotte took a 1-0 lead at the 23rd-minute mark. Senior midfielder Hannah Antonick tied the score for the Spiders with a penalty kick 18 minutes later. The first half concluded with things evened up at one. Seven minutes into the second half, Wierman helped UR take its first lead with her third goal of the season, putting the Spiders ahead 2-1. Sophomore midfielder Emma Shields picked up the assist. Charlotte scored goals during the 77th and 82nd minutes of play, sealing the victory. The Spiders move to 2-3-3 as they open up conference play against Virginia Commonwealth University at 6 p.m. Sept. 14.

Field Hockey

Sept. 8: Loss 6-3 versus Stanford University

The Spiders lost 6-3 to the Stanford Cardinals, moving to 2-3 on the season. Stanford scored two goals in the first period, taking a 2-0 lead over UR. The Cardinals tallied another goal in the second period, extending their lead to 3-0. UR responded in the third with two goals, one from senior midfielder Kaitlyn Csensits 45 seconds into the second half and the other from first-year defender Freya MacKay five minutes later, cutting the Cardinal’s lead to 3-2. Stanford responded with a goal two minutes later, making it a 4-2 game. Senior forward Madi Hyatt scored the Spider's third goal of the third period in the 41st minute of play to make it 4-3, but Stanford scored to regain a two-goal lead. The Cardinals notched their sixth goal two minutes into the fourth period, and neither team scored again. Senior midfielder Alexandria Lavelle and Hyatt recorded assists, and redshirt sophomore Kristen Rake picked up six saves.

Sept. 10: Win 2-1 versus University of California, Davis

The field hockey team finished their West Coast trip with a 2-1 win over UC Davis, earning their third win. UC Davis opened up the scoring with a goal in the first period. The Spiders fell behind 1-0 in the first half despite attempting seven shots. First-year forward Avery Russell scored a goal to tie the game 1-1, assisted by Lavelle. Senior midfielder Cori Nichols scored the decisive goal, giving UR a 2-1 lead. Csensits and sophomore midfielder Alexa Derr both tallied assists on the play. The Spiders evened their record to 3-3 as they will head down to North Carolina to face Davidson College at 7 p.m. Sept. 15.

Football

Sept. 9: Loss 45-14 versus Michigan State University

The Spiders went to East Lansing, MI to face off against the Spartans of the Big Ten Conference. Michigan State held UR to zero points entering the fourth quarter until graduate defensive back Aaron Banks recovered a fumble and ran 47 yards to put the Spiders on the board. Redshirt sophomore kicker Jayden Alsheskie kicked the extra point for the team, making it a 38-7 game. Michigan State would add another seven points to the board with 11:33 left to play, extending their lead to 45-7. Redshirt junior quarterback Jackson Hardy entered the game for the Spiders, going 2-2 with 16 yards. Hardy threw a touchdown to redshirt first-year tight end Sean Clarke, and Alsheskie completed the extra point attempt to close the deficit to 45-14. The Spiders move to 0-2 and look to pick up their first win of the season at home against Delaware State University on Sept. 16.

Contact sports writer Anabella Pelaez at anabella.pelaez@richmond.edu