Spiders lose overtime heartbreaker to American

<p>University of Richmond women's field hockey team at Crenshaw Field against American University. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

University of Richmond women's field hockey team at Crenshaw Field against American University. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

After a complete 3-0 victory over James Madison University, the University of Richmond field hockey team lost in overtime 2-1 at home against American University Sept. 1. 

AU pushed the ball offensively early into gameplay, forcing the Spiders to work defensively. But, the Spiders were able to push the ball back to the Eagles’ side of the field, reminiscent of the back-and-forth nature of the beginning of the first period of play.  

The Eagles ultimately struck first in the scoring column, putting UR behind with just under six minutes to go in the first period. The Spiders’ defense turned the ball over, and because defenders were unable to get back in time, it created a two-on-one situation for redshirt sophomore goalie Kristen Rake. 

Rake slid in an attempt to stop one of AU’s players, but having the extra player present gave the Eagles an advantage that made it difficult to prevent the first score of the game. 

Coming out of the quick break and into the second period, the Spiders gained some offensive momentum. With a little over six minutes played in period two, UR had set up three penalty corners. 

Senior midfielder Alexandria Lavelle took the first corner, which resulted in a blocked shot on goal taken by senior defender Olivia De Cain. Sophomore midfielder Jess McMeeking took the second and third corners, which also resulted in unsuccessful shots from Lavelle and senior midfielder Cori Nichols, respectively. Lavelle ended the game with a team-high three shots. 

The Spiders had their chances offensively but were not able to execute on any of the penalty corner opportunities and turn them into scores. UR also allowed the Eagles two penalty corner opportunities in the period. 

After their game against JMU, UR Head Coach Jamie Montgomery said that at halftime, the team talked about how the third period can act as the “third lap” of the game. 

“...A third period can be one of the most difficult, and you need to ride that wave a little bit mentally in order to get yourself to that fourth quarter mentally and physically, right?” Montgomery said. 

UR eventually reached the back of the net in the third period of this game, with a score from first-year midfielder Charly Faherty on an assist from first-year defender Freya MacKay, tying the game up at one goal apiece.

The fourth period started with an offensive surge from the Spiders, as a penalty corner happened  22 seconds into the final 15 minutes of regulation. Like its other corners, UR was unable to connect offensively to take the lead. The Spiders ended gameplay with 11 shots, five of which were on goal.

Rake had another stellar defensive effort as she kicked a ball down the field and away from AU’s offense in a one-on-one situation. While that play was not counted as a save, Rake finished with two saves and several slides, which assisted in the Spiders’ pushing the game into an overtime period. 

Unfortunately for the Spiders, the Eagles scored off a penalty corner just over seven minutes into the 10-minute overtime period, ending UR’s hopes for a comeback. 

This is the Spiders’ second overtime loss this season in just the first three games and brings their record to 1-2 on the year. 

UR’s next game is at home against Georgetown University at 12 p.m. Sept. 3 to finish out a four-game homestand to start the season. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu.