New science committee serves to support underrepresented backgrounds

<p>Graphic design by Lily Wood.&nbsp;</p>

Graphic design by Lily Wood. 

The Science Belonging Committee is an organization started by biology professors Colleen Carpenter-Swanson and Shannon Jones to create a more inclusive and welcoming environment for all people in the sciences. 

SBC was started as a community for biology majors, but it has expanded to all science majors in the Gottwald Center for the Sciences. The SBC holds many events in order to reach out to everyone in the science community and hopefully strengthen the bond within it, said Carpenter. 

According to Jones, having a community in an academic setting is important for having a sense of belonging within your major. 

“The SBC plays a pivotal role in fostering a sense of inclusivity within the sciences on campus,” junior Shermin Uzair, student ambassador for the SBC, said. 

SBC was created after the Protect Our Web movement as a solution for people who felt out of place in the science community. But as it was continuously noticed by more areas in Gottwald, its importance through all the sciences was seen, Carpenter said. 

“First it just started out with a few of us who really wanted to make sure that underrepresented backgrounds in Gottwald felt like they belong in [science, technology, engineering, and mathematics,]” Jones said “Historically STEM hasn't been a place that was fully welcoming of people of color, and women.”

Jones was able to organize a movie night showcasing the achievements of Nichelle Nichols, the first black woman on mainstream television. The documentary spoke on Nichelle Nichols' part in NASA’s inclusion of black astronauts and scientists. Jones hopes to hold more movie nights showcasing more marginalized groups and their roles in STEM

After a very successful lab scavenger hunt, which is a game held within the labs of Gottwald where students hunt for treasure, many students and faculty in Gottwald requested to be a part of this community, Carpenter said. 

“With how well received it was, we thought at the end of last semester that it was time to expand. So, it was the success of our mini biology ‘experiment’ that led to: How can we make this a Gottwald thing?” Carpenter said. 

The SBC holds many opportunities and events for the students in the sciences, including a Halloween-themed research fair, finals goodie bags, the Gottwald Games, Valentine's Day events and potentially a stargazing event that is in the works, Carpenter said. 

Carpenter also spoke about listening sessions that the SBC held for students who need to rant or speak on their feelings about the community and how it can improve. They can be anonymous and are held for the sake of improving any issue within the community, she said. 

In the future, the SBC would like to open itself up to all areas of science, not just those in Gottwald. Both Uzair and Carpenter mentioned areas such as computer science in the SBC. 

While SBC is a student-based organization, Jones said a greater amount of student involvement would be heavily appreciated, as more ambassadors from chemistry, physics, and more are still needed.