The Collegian
Friday, June 14, 2024

Spiders’ winning-streak ended by Lock Haven

<p>Richmond field hockey team at Crenshaw field against Lock Haven on Sept. 29. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Richmond field hockey team at Crenshaw field against Lock Haven on Sept. 29. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

The University of Richmond field hockey team lost 4-3 against Lock Haven University on Crenshaw field in a close game Sept. 29. 

The Spiders entered this game on fire, winning four back-to-back games entering play. With a perfect record in the Atlantic 10 (two wins and zero losses) and parents coming from around the world for family weekend, it was sure to be an exciting event. 

Lock Haven started well and forced the Spiders to defend for the opening minutes of the first period. UR broke free a couple of times but found themselves in front of their own goal time and time again. The Spiders pushed forward but gave the ball away, which started a counter-attack that was ended by UR giving away a penalty stroke. The Eagles converted the stroke and led 1-0 with four minutes left in the first quarter. 

The Spiders picked themselves up and bombarded the opposing goal with shots resulting in two penalty corners. The second corner found senior midfielder Cori Nichols, who scored to tie the game 1-1 right before the end of the first period. 

UR started the second period strongly, winning more penalty corners and taking shots on goal. A high press allowed junior forward Stevie Drum to steal possession from the Eagles and score past the goalkeeper. The Spiders pressed forward hoping to extend their lead but could not convert, ending the half with UR leading 2-1. 

The third period was back and forth with both teams rushing at each other's goals, but neither could score. Lock Haven won a corner and forced a well-timed save from redshirt sophomore goalie Kristen Rake to concede another corner. The Eagles forced a second save from Rake but won yet another corner. Lock Haven’s third corner struck gold as an Eagles player found the back of the net to tie the game 2-2. 

The momentum had swung in Lock Haven’s favor with the Eagles looking like the more confident side. UR tried to get a hold of the ball, but the Eagles maintained possession. It wasn’t long until Lock Haven scored through another penalty corner. The Spiders' heads went down and they conceded a fourth goal minutes later to make the score 4-2 Lock Haven. 

A brief huddle got the team back in shape as Nichols tipped the ball into the goal with 2:49 left in the game. The Spiders hustled and tried everything they could to score and bring the game into overtime. UR forced saves left and right, but time had run out and the game ended in a 4-3 defeat. 

It was a difficult defeat for the Spiders to take in, but UR Head Coach Jamie Montgomery was pleased with her team’s effort throughout the game. 

“I was proud of the way the girls finished the game,” Montgomery said. “We worked hard to win the ball back and we were still hungry to score even when we were down by two goals.” 

Montgomery added that the team’s defensive penalty unit needed to be worked on but was looking forward to the next game at La Salle University at 3 p.m. Oct. 6. 

Contact sports writer Ryan Stacy at 

Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter

Support independent student media

You can make a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below, which takes you to our secure PayPal account. The page is set up to receive contributions in whatever amount you designate. We look forward to using the money we raise to further our mission of providing honest and accurate information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the general public.

Donate Now