UR Weekly Roundup | Week of Oct. 2

<p>Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.</p>

Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.

The first week of October brings a variety of events including a dance workshop and comedy shows by Trevor Noah. Check out some events happening this week below.

Community Movement Workshop

Tuesday 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

This workshop, led by choreographer Stefanie Batten Bland, offers participants the opportunity to learn the movement and style characteristics of Company SBB, a New York-based dance theater company. The workshop will feature exercises in which each participant uses a personalized flag as a prop and a performative partner. The event will take place in the Acting Studio in the Modlin Center for the Arts, and no dance experience is required. Register for the workshop here.

Pop-Up Eats

Wednesday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

If you are looking for new lunch options on campus, come to the University Forum to try out a food truck chosen by the university’s Dining Services. There will be one surprise menu and all purchases can be made with dining dollars, SpiderCard, debit or credit card. 

A Reading by author Rachel Beanland

Wednesday 7 p.m. 

As part of the English department’s Writers Series, author Rachel Beanland will read a part of her novel, “The House Is On Fire,” in the Brown-Alley Room. This book was named one of the best books of 2023 by The New Yorker and an Indie Next pick by the American Booksellers Association. Beanland published her first novel, “Florence Adler Swims Forever,” in 2020 and is the 2023-24 Writer-in-Residence at the University of Richmond.

White Pearl

Thursday to Saturday 7 p.m. and Sunday 2 p.m.

This satire, written by Thai-Australian playwright Anchuli Felicia King, centers around an all-female Singaporean startup focused on skin-whitening products that suddenly faces chaos when an ad for its latest cream gains popularity on the Internet. The play will take place in the Cousins Studio Theater, with free tickets available here.

Trevor Noah: Off the Record Tour

Friday 7:30 p.m. and Saturday 7 p.m.

South African comedian Trevor Noah, former host of “The Daily Show” and a New York Times bestselling author, will perform two shows at the Altria Theater on his “Off the Record” tour. Tickets start at $42.50 and can be purchased here.

Contact lifestyle editor Son Tran at son.tran@richmond.edu