Spider Sports Recap | Week of Nov. 13

<p>University of Richmond compete at the Patriot Invite &nbsp;Fairfax, Virginia. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

University of Richmond compete at the Patriot Invite  Fairfax, Virginia. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

Women’s Basketball 

Nov. 15: Win 80-53 vs. Gardner-Webb University 

After a dominant 105-44 victory over Delaware State University Nov. 12, the Spiders continued their early season large margins of victory with a 27-point win over the Runnin’ Bulldogs. UR was in control from the first quarter, as by the time the first 10 minutes of the game had finished, the Spiders were up 14-6. Garder-Webb shot just 2 of 14 from the field in the first quarter, whereas the Spiders shot 5 of 16. By halftime, UR led 31-23, and by the time the third quarter ended, the Spiders’ lead had sweltered to 20 points. In the fourth quarter, the Spiders outscored the Runnin’ Bulldogs 25-18 to put a cap on their second win in the early season. Sophomore forward Maggie Doogan paced the Spiders and filled up the stat sheet with 25 points and 10 rebounds. Senior guard Grace Townsend was not far behind with 18 points of her own en route to the Spiders’ victory. 

Nov. 18: Win 76-44 vs. American University 

The Spiders continued their streak of rolling over their opponents offensively with a win at home against the Eagles. With the 32-point victory, UR has now beaten its last three opponents by 27 points or more, having defeated Delaware State by 51 points, Gardner-Webb by 27 and American by 32. The Eagles started the game on a 6-0 run, but the Spiders got back into contention and led American 22-15 through one quarter. For the next two quarters, UR then held the Eagles to under double-digits. Heading into the last 10 minutes of the game, the Spiders led by 30 points, 63-33. The victory was UR’s third-straight and brings the team’s early record to 3-1. Senior guard Siobhan Ryan and Doogan led the Spiders, each scoring in double figures with 20 and 10 points, respectively. Senior forward Addie Budnik almost had a double-double with 8 points and 11 rebounds. UR’s next game is part of the Drake Thanksgiving Invitational, a three-day tournament in Des Moines, Iowa from Nov. 24 to Nov. 26. The Spiders will take on the University of Maine at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 24. 

Men’s Basketball 

Nov. 15: Loss 68-61 vs. Boston College 

After victories over the Virginia Military Institute and Siena College to open the 2023-2024 season, the Spiders traveled to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts where the team ultimately picked up its first loss of the year. The Spiders started the game well, putting themselves in a position to compete with the Eagles. By the 7:11 mark of the first half, UR was up by as many as 14 points. The Eagles cut the Spiders’ lead to 4 by the end of the first half, but UR still held the advantage heading into halftime. However, much to the Spiders’ chagrin, BC took a one-point lead with 16:52 remaining in regulation and did not give up the lead for the rest of the game. The Spiders cut the deficit to as many as two at one point, but by the time the buzzer sounded, UR’s hopes of taking down a team from the Atlantic Coast Conference had been erased. Graduate center Neal Quinn led the Spiders with 21 points and 6 rebounds. Graduate guard Jordan King was the only other Spider in double-figures with 10 points, also grabbing 6 rebounds. UR’s next game is against the University of Colorado Boulder at 8 p.m. Nov. 20. 

Swimming and Diving 

Nov. 16 - Nov. 18: Patriot Invite 

Over the course of the three-day Patriot Invite in Fairfax, Virginia, the swimming and diving team had success in several different events. In the women’s 200-yard freestyle relay, the Spiders finished tied for fourth place with a time of 1:33.92. UR’s A team of four was made up by senior Lucy Yeomans, junior Julia Krichev and first-years Keirlyn Mullica and Melissa Nwakalor. The Spiders’ B team made up of first-year Presley Baber and sophomores Caroline Weldon, Caitlyn Hughes and Katie Chignell, finished in 10th place. In the women’s 500-yard freestyle, senior Megan Carson led the way in the A race, coming in fifth place for the Spiders. In UR’s three previous meets before the Patriot Invite, the Spiders beat Davidson College and George Mason University and lost to the University of Pennsylvania. The team’s next meet, the Collegiate National Open Water 5K, is at 10 a.m. Dec. 17. 

Football 

Nov. 18: Win 27-26 vs. the College of William & Mary

The Spiders marched into Williamsburg and took back the Capital Cup after losing it last year on their home turf. UR also won a piece of the Colonial Athletic Association Championship in their down-to-the-wire victory over the Tribe. UR began the game down 7-0, but eventually established a lead. Heading into the final minutes of the game, the Spiders held a seven-point lead, but the Tribe would score with no time left on the lock, making the score 27-26. William & Mary ended up electing to go for the two-point conversion, but was called for holding and the game ended. This win not only gave the Spiders an 8-3 record for the regular season but helped in securing their bid into the FCS Playoffs. Redshirt sophomore Kyle Wickersham led the Spiders in the air and on the ground, throwing for 152 yards and rushing for 72 yards and a touchdown. Redshirt senior running back Savon Smith and redshirt junior wide receiver Jasiah Williams each threw a touchdown on trick plays during the game. UR will face North Carolina Central University in the first round of the FCS Playoffs at 2 p.m. Nov. 25. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu