Transfers are the answer as Spiders surge to season opener win

<p>Graduate Guard Jordan King jumps up to take a shot during game against VMI at the first men's basketball game of the season Nov. 6.&nbsp;</p>

Graduate Guard Jordan King jumps up to take a shot during game against VMI at the first men's basketball game of the season Nov. 6. 

The Spiders were firing on all cylinders in their season opener Nov. 6 as the University of Richmond men’s basketball team took care of business at the Robins Center, defeating the Virginia Military Institute 93-75. 

Just as they did in last year’s season opener on Nov. 7, 2022, UR got the job done against the Keydets, once again giving the Spiders a 1-0 start to their 2023-2024 campaign. 

The Keydets began the game shooting 2-for-2, starting the first half on a 5-0 run, but little did VMI know that would be its one and only stretch ahead of the Spiders on the scoreboard. 

Graduate center Neal Quinn started things off scoring-wise, using his footwork in the paint to maneuver his way to the basket for the Spiders’ first basket. Next, graduate guard Jordan King completed an and-one play, and UR was off to the races, tying things up 5-5. 

King would go on to hit another and-one, but the second time around, it was a four-point play as he was fouled on a 3-pointer. His two and-one plays proved to be momentum swinging moments for the Spiders, as from there the game seemed to be in their control. 

Much like he did during those two plays, King took control for the rest of the quarter as he made the most of his first game in a Spider uniform. By the time halftime came around, he had scored 27 points in just 18 minutes. Whether it was a 3-pointer or using his speed to get to the rack, King was everywhere in his UR debut. 

“I think we’ve had very aggressive guards in the past, and [King] I thought was so aggressive tonight and really set a great tone for us,” UR Head Coach Chris Mooney said after the game. 

With 20 seconds to go in the first half, the Spiders showcased one of the many instances over the course of the game where their defense led to transition offense. Senior guard DeLonnie Hunt grabbed the board and soon after found senior guard Dji Bailey for a fastbreak bucket, bringing the score to 55-34. VMI was able to score one more bucket but the Spiders put their stamp on the first 20 minutes of regulation, heading into halftime up 55-36. 

The Spiders broke things open in the second half, forcing turnovers defensively as they in turn increased their lead on the scoreboard. By the 11:45 mark, UR led VMI by 31 points after a 3-pointer from junior guard Jason Roche off an assist from King. 

UR’s two transfer starters and backcourt tandem, King and Hunt, led the way for the Spiders throughout the game. King finished with 34 points and 5 rebounds, shooting 61% from the field and hitting 6 of 12 3-pointers. Hunt added 15 points and 4 assists. King and Hunt were UR’s only two scorers in double figures. 

“Obviously Jordan King and Delonnie Hunt, really a dynamic backcourt,” Mooney said. “Really competitive players, fast, can put a lot of pressure on the opponent at both ends of the floor.” 

Quinn’s all-around play proved solid as well, as he finished with 6 points, 7 assists and 10 rebounds. Before the game, Quinn was recognized for scoring the 1,000th point of his collegiate career back in March, a career that started at Lafayette College before he transferred to UR last year. 

As the final minutes of the second half approached, UR was able to empty its bench as every person on the roster got to play. The Spiders finished the game ahead of the Keydets by 18 points. 

Defensively, the Spiders tallied 11 steals and saw the Keydets turn the ball over 14 times compared to their 7. UR scored 17 points off of turnovers and totaled 25 bench points, showing the team’s depth early in the season. 

With many familiar faces gone from UR’s program, having graduated or transferred, the new-look Spiders stepped up to the challenge of meshing together a roster lacking continuity in their first outing this season. Only time will tell how the team’s assortment of returners, transfers and rookies will click as the season progresses. 

UR will continue its home stretch against Siena College at 8 p.m. Nov. 11, where the team will try to win their second straight game in the young season. 

“It was crazy,” King said after the game, reflecting on his first game at the Robins Center. “A lot of fans, it was a good turnout for the first game. I’m really excited to get back in this building on Saturday just to see more people come in.” 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu.