UR Alum reveals Trump refused to leave despite 2020 election results

<p>Jennis Ellis and former president Donald Trump in the White House Oval Office. <em>Courtesy of Jenna Ellis's Twitter.</em></p>

Jennis Ellis and former president Donald Trump in the White House Oval Office. Courtesy of Jenna Ellis's Twitter.

University of Richmond School of Law alum Jenna Ellis, ‘11, said in a obtained video by ABC News that a presidential aide told her that former President Donald Trump would refuse to leave the White House after losing the 2020 election. 

Ellis told investigators that Trump’s aide, Dan Scanvino, said in an excited tone that “the boss is not going to leave under any circumstances,” and “we are just going to stay in power.” 

Ellis revealed this detail to Fulton County investigators after pleading guilty to conspiring to overturn the 2020 election results on Oct. 24 in Georgia. Ellis was the third attorney out of the 19 indicted to accept a plea deal by the Fulton County jury, according to the Washington Post. 

Junior and political science major John Paschold, who has been following Ellis’ story, thinks Ellis received a relatively lenient punishment last month. 

“She's gonna get to keep her law license. She's not going to jail. She's not going to the slammer. So she's really getting off pretty easily,” Paschold said. 

Almost one year after testifying in front of a grand jury regarding Trump’s plan to overturn the 2020 election results, Ellis was booked into Fulton County Jail in Georgia on Aug 23. She was charged with violating the state’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and soliciting the violation of oath by a public officer, according to reporting by AP News. 

Law professor Henry Chambers said Ellis’ case is being talked about at UR’s law school.

“These scenarios are often taught in the context of professional ethics,” Chambers said.  “Our job as lawyers is to counsel our clients to help keep them out of trouble, not to help them get into trouble.”

Senior and Mock Trial President Emma Mecklenburg said she was surprised to see a UR alum who received a “high quality of education” from the law school plead guilty to not upholding the law. Mecklenburg said that after watching Ellis' trial unfold, she wants to be a lawyer“devoted to doing justice and finding the truth.” 

Contact Executive Editor Ananya Chetia at ananya.chetia@richmond.edu 

Caitlin McCormack contributed to reporting. 

Ella-Brooke Morgan contributed to reporting.