UR Weekly Roundup | Week of Nov. 6

<p>Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.</p>

Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.

Campus is adorned in peak fall colors as the basketball season returns this week. Remember to cast your vote this Tuesday and check out some events happening on and off campus.

Imaging Indigenous Cinema

Monday 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

As part of the 2023-2024 Tucker-Boatwright Festival of Literature and Arts, there will be a screening of multiple short films created by Sky Hopinka, a contemporary indigenous filmmaker. Hopinka is a member of the Ho-Chunk Nation, and his works have been presented at the New York Film Festival, Sundance and the Toronto International Film Festival. The screening will be followed by a Q&A session hosted by art and art history professor Jeremy Drummond and film studies professor Sonja Bertucci.

Women's Self Defense Class

Wednesday 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

This class, led by University of Richmond police officers who have been certified as Police Defensive Tactics Instructors, offers an introductory session that covers physical skills like stances, strikes and pressure point techniques, along with methods to break free from wrist grabs, bear hugs and chokeholds. This class is free of charge and will take place in the Alice Haynes Room; you can register here

Pause for Paws

Friday 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

If you are looking for a study break this weekend, come to the back lawn of the Robins School of Business to mingle with the therapy dogs from Caring Canines. There will be a coffee and hot chocolate bar, and the first 50 attendees will receive a “doggie bag” filled with treats. 

Diwali Celebration

Friday 7 p.m.

Diwali, also known as the festival of lights, is a holiday celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and Buddhists, symbolizing the triumph of light over darkness and good over evil. Join the South Asian Student Association and the Bollywood Jhatkas at The CAVE for a festive celebration featuring food, music and a special performance by the Jhatkas.

Richmond Marathon

Saturday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

In its 46th edition, the Richmond Marathon will feature a course that winds through some of the city’s most iconic landmarks, including the James River, Monument Avenue and Belle Isle. If you are looking to challenge yourself, you can register to participate in the 8K race, half-marathon or full marathon.

Contact lifestyle editor Son Tran at son.tran@richmond.edu