Women’s basketball revives winning streak with a win against Le Moyne College

<p>Junior Guard Katie Hill during game against Le Moyne Dec. 3. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.</p>

Junior Guard Katie Hill during game against Le Moyne Dec. 3. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

The University of Richmond’s women's basketball team beat the Le Moyne College Dolphins 69-40 in the Robins Center on Dec. 3.

The Spiders came into this game hoping to regenerate their winning streak after their 67-57 loss to Villanova University on Nov. 30. 

UR junior guard Katie Hill got the game started with a 3-pointer in the first 20 seconds. Sophomore forward Maggie Doogan also stood out in the first period, scoring 2 3-pointers. Although trailing in score, Le Moyne kept the rebound total close by generating 8, while the Spiders obtained 9. 

The Spiders went into the second period up 16-7. Senior guard Grace Townsend started adding to the Spiders’ lead early on in the second, and by the end of the period she completed 2 field goals and an equal amount of rebounds. Doogan again was a reliable scorer as she completed a field goal and a 3-pointer.

At the halfway point, the Spiders had scored 48.14% of their attempted field goals. 

Senior forward Addie Budnik started the scoring in the third period with a field goal, but the Dolphins responded with 2 unanswered 3-pointers and 2 successful free throws. Soon after this, Budnik broke the Spiders' brief drought and scored a field goal to extend the lead margin. The Spiders came out of the third period leading 54-32. 

In the fourth period, sophomore guard Rachel Ullstrom scored a field goal within the first 20 seconds. Senior guard Kylee Lewandowski also scored a field goal as well as a 3-pointer. 

Although the Spiders won 69-40, they only scored 28.57% of their attempted field goals in the fourth period. UR Head Coach Aaron Roussell reflected on this, saying, “You never want to make excuses, and I think our players and our staff as a program are past that. We did what we had to do, and I think you can point to a few things that we didn’t do very well. We let [Le Moyne] get to some of their strengths today.”

Roussell then praised the Dolphins’ grit and rebounding ability, while also pointing out his team's great defensive effort. 

“17 offensive rebounds is a lot,” Roussell said “On the flip side of that is [Le Moyne] missed a lot of shots, so I think when you start looking at all of that, you can say what you want. I thought they were very scrappy. I thought they played well, but at the end of the day, they shot 20%, and anytime there's a number like that you have to give a lot of credit to your defense.” 

The women's basketball team now has a 7-2 record and are fifth in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

The next UR women’s basketball game is at the Robins Center at 2 p.m Dec.10 against Appalachian State University. 

Contact sports writer Erica Rogers at erica.rogers@richmond.edu.