Spider Sports Recap | Week of Feb. 12

The women's basketball team celebrates senior night on Feb. 17. Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

Women’s Basketball

Feb. 14: Win 65-58 vs. Virginia Commonwealth University 

The Spiders came up victorious after a Valentine’s Day visit to VCU. The first quarter started a little shaky for the Spiders. VCU scored eight points before senior forward Addie Budnik was able to score UR’s first field goal. The Spiders were 12 points behind after the first quarter.  With the help of two 3-pointers by Budnik, they were able to begin catching up in the second quarter. By halftime, the Spiders trailed VCU 27-21. UR took its first lead of the night with eight minutes left in the last quarter after two completed free throws by senior guard Grace Townsend. After a little bit of back-and-forth, UR was able to grab a stable lead and take the win. The final score was 65-58. 

Feb. 17: Win 75-71 vs. Loyola University Chicago.

The Spiders now have a six-game winning streak after their win against Loyola. UR was dominant throughout the first two quarters and went to halftime up 41-29. In the third quarter, Loyola began to catch up by scoring 13 points uninterrupted and taking a brief lead. Both teams were tied with twenty seconds left in the third until sophomore forward Maggie Doogan scored a field goal to give UR the advantage. The fourth period consisted of both teams scoring back-and-forth until UR was able to take a six-point lead. UR kept this lead until the clock ran out. The final score was 75-71.

Men’s Basketball 

Feb. 14: Loss 69-59 vs. University of Massachusetts 

In a Valentine’s Day matchup against the University of Massachusetts, the Spiders were unable to hold off the Minutemen. The Spiders kept the game close in the early portions of the game and even held a one-point lead nine minutes in due to a successful 3-pointer completed by graduate guard Jordan King. A little while after, the Spiders began to struggle, and they left the first half down 37-24. King started the scoring off for the Spiders in the second half with two completed free throws. Graduate forward Zae Bigelow was a standout in the half, earning the Spiders 10 points. UMass, however, was able to maintain its lead, and the final score was 69-59.

Feb. 17: Win 90-74 vs. George Washington University 

The men’s basketball team was able to get back in the win margin after a game against George Washington. Midway through the first half, UR was up 23-17. With nine minutes left in the half, George Washington got the score to 23-22, but UR was able to reassert dominance and came out of the first half up 52-37. Once the second half started, George Washington scored five points uninterrupted, but the Spiders were able to keep their lead and take the win. The standout of the game was King, who gave the Spiders 28 points. 

Women’s Lacrosse

Feb. 14: Win 19-3 vs. Old Dominion University 

Women’s lacrosse created a two-game winning streak after the victory against Old Dominion. UR scored nine times throughout the first quarter, while Old Dominion only scored once. Junior attacker Colleen Quinn, junior midfielder Grace Muldoon and sophomore attacker Juliana Stanley all scored twice. In the second quarter, UR scored five times and shut Old Dominion out. The score at the half was 14-1.When the third quarter began, Old Dominion scored its second goal of the night within the first 10 seconds. UR later responded with two goals. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, Old Dominion quickly got another goal, but UR went on to score three goals to win the game. The final score was 19-3.

Baseball

Feb. 16: Loss 6-0 vs. Niagara University 

Feb. 17: Loss 6-3 vs. Niagara University (DH)

Feb. 17: Loss 6-4 vs. Niagara University (DH) 

The University of Richmond baseball team took on Niagara three times and came up short in each match.

In the Feb. 16 game, Niagara completed a run in the second inning, one in the sixth, and then secured their win by completing four runs in the ninth. The Spiders, meanwhile, weren’t able to complete any. The final score was 6-0.

On Feb. 17, Niagara and UR competed in a double-header. The first game was only seven innings. UR started the scoring this time with the Spiders completing two runs in the first inning. Niagara quickly came back, completing three runs in the second. Niagra went on to win by scoring a single run in the fifth, sixth and seventh inning. The final score was 6-3. 

Later that afternoon on the 17, both teams played the second portion of their double-header. Nigara completed the first run of the game in the first inning but the Spiders managed to complete two in the third. Niagra then tied the game at two in the fifth inning and then took the lead by completing four runs in the eighth. The Spiders attempted a comeback in the ninth inning but were only able to complete two of the four runs they needed to catch Niagara. The final score was 6-4.

Men’s Lacrosse

Feb. 17: Loss 10-14 vs. University of Virginia 

The Spiders came up short to UVA in their second home game of the season. The game started off in the Spiders’ favor when senior attacker Luke Grayum scored the first goal of the game less than two minutes in. Three minutes later, graduate attacker Dalton Young put UR up two. Soon after, UVA managed to tie the game, and by the end of the quarter, UVA was up 5-3. By halftime, UR was still two goals behind with a 7-5 score. UVA got the scoring started in the third quarter, but UR attempted a comeback with Young and sophomore attacker Aidan O’Neil each scoring a goal within a minute of each other. With six minutes remaining in the third period, sophomore defenseman Hunter Smith tied the game with his first goal of the season. Shortly after, UVA scored again making the score 10-9. In the fourth period, junior defenseman Tommy Stull scored UR’s only goal of the period, while UVA scored four and achieved the win. The final score was 14-10.

Contact sports writer Erica Rogers at erica.rogers@richmond.edu.