Men’s lacrosse wins against Binghamton to progress to 3-2

<p>Junior Jared Chenoy during the March 2 game against Binghamton University. Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.</p>

Junior Jared Chenoy during the March 2 game against Binghamton University. Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

The University of Richmond men’s lacrosse team won 19-10 against Binghamton University on March 2 at the Robins Stadium. 

After this win, the Spiders' record moved to 3-2, finally pushing them to a winning record. 

UR’s win was tallied by a whopping nine different goal scorers, with senior attacker Luke Grayum tying the program record with an impressive 7 goals. Graduate attacker and Tewaaraton watch list player Dalton Young continued his fantastic game streak with 3 goals and 5 assists for a total of 8 points. 

The Spiders started off slowly, with just one goal from Young with 12:30 left in the first quarter. After that, Binghamton scored four unanswered goals, making it 4-1 in favor of the Bearcats with 6:20 left. 

The Spiders and Bearcats traded back-and-forth goals, but the Spiders then went on a 4-0 stretch – two of which were man-up – making the score 8-6 with 2:11 remaining in the half. With seven seconds left, a Bearcats player scored, leaving the score 8-7 in favor of the Spiders at halftime.

The Spiders looked like a completely different team coming out of the locker room for the second half. 

Flying out of the gates, senior defensive midfielder Jeff Nugent had a momentum-gaining unassisted goal at 12:59, giving the Spiders some much-needed energy. From there, the Bearcats only scored three goals, while the Spiders put up 10. 

After the goal from Nugent, the Bearcats scored one, but it was followed by another four unanswered Spiders’ goals, making it 13-8. 

The Bearcats scored again at 5:14 in the third quarter, but then the Spiders completely took off, scoring six straight goals heading into the fourth quarter, with three belonging to Grayum. The Bearcats had one last goal at 2:35. 

Binghamton had a total of 19 turnovers compared to UR’s 7. The Spiders went 24-for-25 in clears, with the Bearcats going 15-for-18. Redshirt junior goalie Zach Vigue locked in 11 saves., and junior long stick midfielder Tommy Stull led the day with four caused turnovers.

“We did not respect the goalie enough early… we gave him a lot more respect later as it related to our shot selection,” UR Head Coach Dan Chemotti said in a postgame press conference, speaking on the offensive adjustments the team needed to make coming out of the second half. 

The Spiders will next take on the University of Maryland, Baltimore County at 4 p.m. on March 8 in Baltimore. 

Contact sports writer Sam Slater at sam.slater@richmond.edu