Spiders take care of business in A-10 quarterfinals

Senior guard Grace Townsend during the March 8 game against Loyola University Chicago. Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

The University of Richmond women’s basketball team picked up right where it left offensively in their matchup against Loyola University Chicago, picking up a 70-54 victory in the Atlantic 10 Tournament quarterfinals on March 9.

The Spiders, who garnered the No. 1 seed after winning the A-10 regular season championship, were in full control against the eighth-seeded Ramblers right from the tip, starting the game out on a 12-0 run to establish themselves on the offensive end.

“I think, especially having the crowd, that was a huge energizer from us,” senior forward Addie Budnik said in a postgame press conference. “And then also just one through 15, bench and on the court. It was huge, everybody was playing for each other. We know how big all these games are and it’s really about who plays harder that day, who’s gonna show up."

At the end of the first quarter, UR led Loyola Chicago 20-9, sparked by early contributions from sophomore forward Maggie Doogan and Budnik. 

“I thought the start of the game was important, but also something I think that we’ve been pushing toward all season,” UR Head Coach Aaron Roussell said in a postgame press conference

The second quarter proved no different. With 46 seconds left in the first half, the Spiders’ lead had gown to 23 points. With a win-or-go-home scenario on the line, UR was not taking its foot off the gas pedal. 

Shots were falling in the second quarter, especially from 3-point range, as the Spiders shot 4-for-5 from the outside arc. Budnik hit a 3-pointer, senior guard Kylee Lewandowski hit a 3-pointer and sophomore guard Rachel Ullstrom hit 2 3-pointers in the quarter. At halftime, UR led 43-22. 

In the second half, the Spiders only sustained their dominant lead. With one quarter to go, UR led 54-34. 

Over the course of the final 10 minutes of the game, the Ramblers were able to cut the deficit to 14 points, but by the time the buzzer sounded, the Spiders were still able to emerge victorious by 16 points, 70-54. 

UR shot 53.2% from the field throughout the contest while Loyola Chicago shot 32.7% from the field. 

Budnik led the way in the scoring column with 18 points. Doogan and junior guard Katie Hill were the Spiders’ other double-figure scorers with 13 points and 10 points, respectively. 

Senior guards Siobhan Ryan and Grace Townsend and sophomore guard Rachel Ullstrom were close behind, each chipping in 8 points. 

“It’s definitely an exciting time,” Budnik said. “It’s win or go home, so just leaving everything out on the court. I think my teammates did a really good job getting me the ball and setting me up, especially for [3-pointers], but also everybody else stepped up, rallied around each other. When we missed a shot, we picked each other up and that’s super vital, super important, and that’s what brought us the win.”

With this win, UR will take on Duquesne University in the A-10 Tournament semifinals at 11 a.m. on March . 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu