Monday, April 29, 2024

UR Weekly Roundup | Week of April 1

<p>Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.</p>

Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.

Happy April, Spiders! As our campus becomes painted with cherry blossoms and the end of the semester is around the corner, here are some exciting events to make these April days truly blossom!

AI's Ethical Categories: Are They The Same As Ours?

Tuesday 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Learn about the link between artificial intelligence and ethics in this lecture by Juraj Hvorecký, a Prague-based philosopher and ethicist at the Center for Technology and Environmental Ethics. Drawing from his European Union-funded research, Hvorecký will analyze the intersection of AI categories with human ethical thought. This event will take place in room 118 in Jepson Hall and is open to the public.

Tina - The Tina Turner Musical

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 7:30 p.m.

Friday 8 p.m.

Saturday 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Sunday 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. 

Witness the inspiring journey of a woman who shattered barriers and rose to become the Queen of Rock n' Roll at the Altria Theater with "Tina - The Tina Turner Musical."  Featuring Turner's beloved songs, the musical is crafted by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Katori Hall and directed by the internationally acclaimed Phyllida Lloyd. Tickets start at $30 and can be purchased here.

Be Water, My Friend

Thursday 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Come to the International Commons in the Carole Weinstein International Center for an evening with Shannon Lee, the daughter of actor Bruce Lee. Lee will discuss her book "Be Water, My Friend," which explores her father's timeless life philosophies and how to apply them for personal fulfillment. The event, which is part of the 2023-2024 Tucker-Boatwright of Literature and the Arts, will include a Q&A session followed by a book-signing reception.

Pause for Paws

Friday 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

The Robins School of Business invites you to "Pause for Paws" at Moelchert Commons, located right outside Lou's Cafe. Take a break from your studies and spend time with furry friends, especially if you're missing your pets! The first 50 students to attend will receive a "doggie bag" filled with delicious human treats.

The Ordinaries

Saturday 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. 

As part of the Tucker-Boatwright Festival’s theme “Changing Perspectives: Reflections on Contemporary German Film,” there will be a screening and discussion of the groundbreaking film "The Ordinaries (2022)" at the Ukrop Auditorium. The film, directed by Sophie Linnenbaum, delves into social hierarchies and systemic prejudices, portraying a world where characters' roles dictate their societal standing. Join Kathrin Bower, professor of German studies, and her students for an insightful discussion post-screening. The event is free, and light refreshments will be available.

Bollywood On The Block

Saturday 7:30 p.m.

Come to Camp Concert Hall for a joint showcase by UR hip-hop dance club Block Crew and the South Asian fusion team Bollywood Jhatkas. Featuring student-choreographed and cover dance performances, this showcase celebrates years of culture and artistry. This event is free, and you can reserve tickets here.

Contact lifestyle editor Emma Galgano at emma.galgano@richmond.edu.