University officials place security cameras at all campus entrances

University of Richmond officials have placed security cameras at each campus entrance to ensure the safety of Richmond students.

The cameras were installed in order to track license plate numbers, said Sgt. Michael Hull of the campus police department. That is their sole purpose, he said.

The cameras are not taking pictures of the students driving onto campus, Hull said. Rather, the cameras are tracking the cars coming on and off the campus, he said.

Sophomore Ripley Nielsen said he thought that the cameras had been installed as a result of all of the assaults that had occurred last year on campus.

"There were a lot of people last year that were on campus that were not supposed to be," Nielsen said.

"And there were a lot of assaults by people who did not go to this school who came on campus, and beat people up for no specific reasons."

Senior Lily Ackerman said that she had noticed that there was an increase in security this year compared with her first three years at Richmond.

"Security-wise, I feel safer and see policemen around all of the time," Ackerman said. "They have been more present on campus this year than they have had in subsequent years."

The cameras have been distracting to some students because of the bright light that reflects off of the cameras at night.

Senior Jason McMahon said, "By the apartment exit it is very dangerous because of the constant bright light that almost blinds people while driving on and off campus."

Freshman Steven Aronson said he felt very secure on campus because of the large presence of police patrol.

Campus police investigator Timothy Mihalcoe said that he had been advised to wait until the system was up and fully functioning before giving any interviews.

Contact reporter Catherine Crystal at catherine.crystal@richmond.edu.