Sophomore wins Mr. Richmond Pageant

Jack Gilligan won the Mr. Richmond Pageant with his classic black suit, his response about his favorite memory in Lora Robins Court and his talent of flying a plane.

CAB hosted the Mr. Richmond Pageant on April 10, featuring eight Richmond College students from a variety of organizations including Greek life, the Judicial Council, the track team and the ice hockey team.

The participants were Gilligan, Bryan Scalici, Hunter Northcutt, Ryan Busch, Charlie Boles, Sean Livesey, Erich Mueller and Matt di Stefano.

The two hosts for the event were Alyssa Davis and Alex McDilda.

Participants competed for the chance to be named Mr. Richmond and the prize of Dr. Dre Beats headphones.

The pageant was broken into three competitions.

The first competition was the formal wear event in which the men "strutted their stuff," as Davis described, across the stage in suits that ranged from classic black and white to a green suit jacket and a suede black suit jacket.

During the formal wear competition, the hosts shared interesting facts about the contestants to help the audience get to know them.

Livesey's favorite childhood book was Everybody Poops by Taro Gomi. Boles' current favorite song to sing in the shower is "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen.

The second competition in the pageant was the "question-and-answer section." The hosts randomly selected questions from a bag that the contestants then had to answer.

When Gilligan was asked about his favorite memory in Lora Robins Court, he responded, "It was late at night, and I don't remember it all too well, but I was a young freshman."

Mueller was asked how he knew when she was "the one." He responded, "If you're making a baked potato, you better have bacon on it."

The final competition in the pageant was the talent section where the men were able to charm the audience however they pleased.

Northcutt sang a rendition of "You'll Think of Me" by Keith Urban, Scalici spoke the lyrics to "Buy U A Drank" by T-Pain and di Stefano played "Call Me Maybe" on the euphonium.

When the final votes were all counted, it was Gilligan who ended up winning the Mr. Richmond Pageant. Scalici was the runner-up. Both men received sashes and will receive their Dr. Dre Beats headphones later.

"I'm so excited I won," Gilligan said. "I'm gonna wear my sash around campus and to class tomorrow, cause I'm Mr. Richmond."

Mindy Godel, a freshman, organized the event, including the planning, coordination and pageant.

"I thought this pageant sounded like a fun event to be a part of, which is why I wanted to organize it," Godel said. "I'm happy about the turnout of the event and all of the people who came out to watch it."

Contact reporter Ryann Dannelly at ryann.dannelly@richmond.edu