Live Blog: Richmond vs. Gardner-Webb

4th Quarter, 0:00- GW kneel-down ends it. Final score: UR-41, GW-8.

4th Quarter, 0:26- Snap goes awry again for Richmond, with the ball going way over punter Nick Hicks's head. He kicks in through the back of the end zone for Richmond's second safety given up in as many games. Richmond now up 41-8.

4th Quarter, 2:22- Third string UR quarterback Montel White is now in the game for the Spiders.

4th Quarter, 8:43- GW tight end Hudson Smith has a bad case of deja vu, dropping another easy touchdown catch in the end zone, wide open. The next play, Wynn forces his second fumble of the game and freshman David Herlocker recovers, giving the offense the ball back at the UR 12.

4th Quarter, 9:16- Strauss fumbles the snap and GW recovers, giving the Bulldogs the ball on Richmond's 18.

4th Quarter, 12:42- GW backup quarterback Exavier Johnson now in the game for the Runnin' Bulldogs, replacing Beatty.

3rd Quarter, 0:00- This game heads into the final quarter now, with the Spiders firmly in control. Numerous backups have come

in for Richmond on both sides of the ball. The fourth quarter will begin with Richmond ahead, 41-6.

3rd Quarter, 5:30- Backup quarterback Michael Strauss is now in the ballgame for Laub.

3rd Quarter, 7:09- Laub doesn't care how many yards he has to pick up, getting the first down on a 20-yard third-down throw to Dominique Miller. On second and goal, it's (guess who?) Kendall Gaskins taking it into the end zone from one yard out, his fourth score of the day. That makes the score 41-6 here.

3rd Quarter, 9:05- Twin Stephen Barnette catches a deep pass from Laub, who took a big hit as he released the ball to put Richmond at the GW 26, then Smith runs it into the end zone easily, but the play is called back for a holding call, and another 15 yard penalty is tacked on for unsportsmanlike conduct, pushing the ball all the way back to the UR 49. Don't see too many 1st and 35 plays.

3rd Quarter, 9:33- Now the Spider defense forces its first interception of season, as safety Reggie Barnette steps in front of the Beatty throw down the sideline.

3rd Quarter, 11:18- The UR offense fails to move the ball at all, but Hinshaw's 37-yard field goal (his career long) pushes the lead out to 34-6.

3rd Quarter, 13:14- First sack of the season for Richmond leads to a fumble. Kerry Wynn with the sack, coming from Beatty's blindside to knock the ball loose, and Evan Kelly recovers for the Spiders at the 32.

3rd Quarter, 14:52- Second half is now underway, with the Runnin' Bulldogs starting at their own 29 following the kickoff return.

Haltime- A lot to like about that first half if you're a Spider fan, especially if you're rooting for John Laub. In shaking off that interception on his first throw of the game, he proved his mental toughness, which is to be expected of a fifth-year senior. He's the captain, and the team follows his lead; he led them to the strongest first half offensive performance in two seasons. On defense, the return of Taylor is encouraging, and it doesn't look like the cast of his hand is proving to be a problem at all. The defensive line's performance as a whole has also been really encouraging, allowing just 29 yards on the ground. Look for the Spiders to put this game away early in the second half if they get the chance.

Halftime- First off, as usual, some stats: Laub- 10-19 for 203 yards and 2 TD (both career highs), Gaskins- 62 total yards, 3 TD, Smith- 94 yards rushing, UR offense outgaining GW, 327-136, on offense. Edwards leads all receivers with 73 yards on two receptions, and a TD.

2nd Quarter, 0:00- The first half comes to a close after a desperate throw toward the end zone falls to the turf. Through the first 30 minutes, it's Richmond- 31, Gardner-Webb- 6. I'll have some first-half analysis for you in a few minutes.

2nd Quarter, 2:12- Richmond with another first-and-goal situation after a pair of receptions by Barnette and tight end Sam Roller. Bad snap, though, goes over Laub's head, and Gardner-Webb comes up with a much needed turnover.

2nd Quarter, 6:31- Gaskins continues his big day, catching a 5-yard touchdown from Laub. That's his third TD of the game, and this game isn't even halfway finished. Spiders lead extended again, 31-6.

2nd Quarter, 8:11- UR offense quickly threatening again on a long catch by tight end Kevin Finney and 20-yard run on the end around by Edwards. Ball is at the GW 24.

2nd Quarter, 9:06- Miller with a nice return of 36 yards gives Richmond the ball at the UR 46 to start.

2nd Quarter, 9:15- Taylor proving to be around the ball all day today, just like last year, breaking up the third down pass attempt. GW kicker Trever Austin splits the uprights from 38 yards out for his second FG of the day, cutting the Spider lead to 24-6.

2nd Quarter, 9:27- Costly mistake by GW tight end Hudson Smith, who dropped an easy touchdown catch on a perfectly thrown ball. He was wide open.

2nd Quarter, 10:17- No regrets taking the ball out of the end zone this time for GW's return man, going 73 yards to give his offense the ball at Richmond's 27.

2nd Quarter, 10:28- Gaskins finishes the drive off with a 5-yard touchdown run that he made look easy. Spider lead is extended to 24-3.

2nd Quarter, 11:12- Another big run by Smith, this time for 54 yards, just getting caught from behind after it looked like he might hit paydirt. That run was out of a Wildcat formation with Smith taking the snap and Gaskins lined up next to him. Interested to see if this might become common in Rocco's offensive system.

2nd Quarter, 11:44- Nifty move by UR tailback Jovan Smith on a 17-yard run, longest rush of the day for either team.

2nd Quarter, 12:26- Huge stop by the defense, as GW goes for it on 4th and 2 and loses yards on a run. Richmond LB Eric Wright with the stop. UR offense takes over at its own 18.

2nd Quarter, 14:13- Another long pass and catch from Beatty to Cook, this one for 23 yards puts the ball at the UR 22. Cook really went up and got that one.

1st Quarter, 0:00- First really big play for the GW offense on a 21-yard catch by WR Kenny Cook, thrown by Lucas Beatty, puts the ball in Richmond territory. The clock then runs down, bringing the first quarter to a close. Richmond-17, Gardner-Webb-3.

1st Quarter, 1:29- GW picks up its first first down of the game on an intermediate pass and catch.

1st Quarter, 2:55- Richmond fails to gain a first down of its own, electing to punt of 4th and 6, giving the Bulldogs the ball back on their own 15.

1st Quarter, 3:48- Spider defense again keeps GW from gaining a first down, forcing another punt. Edwards with a nice 20-yard return puts the ball in the offense's hands at the UR 43.

1st Quarter, 6:20- Bulldogs return man elects to take the touchback this time around, perhaps still hurting from those last two hits. GW starts the drive at the 25-yard line.

1st Quarter, 6:20- Edwards gets that touchdown he was just short of earlier, catching a beautifully thrown deep ball from Laub for the 46-yard score. Spiders push their lead to 17-3, and Laub is showing that he wasn't bothered by his initial interception.

1st Quarter, 6:28- Taylor showing that hand isn't bothering him today, dropping the GW tailback for a loss on third down, forcing the Bulldogs punt. Edwards takes the return back for a few yards, giving Richmond the ball at the GW 46.

1st Quarter, 8:24- Gardner-Webb return man getting punished here early on. This time, it's UR's Rodney Barnes with the big hit. GW holds on to the ball this time though, and will begin its second drive at its own 15.

1st Quarter, 8:29- Receiver Ben Edwards takes a short catch and nearly turns it into a touchdown, going 27 yards to the 1-yard line. Gaskins punches it in from there for the touchdown. Hinshaw's extra point gives Richmond the lead, 10-3.

1st Quarter, 9:36- Richmond special teams come up with a big play, with Seth Fisher laying down a huge hit on GW's return man, forcing a fumble, recovered by DeShawn Holmes, giving the UR offense the ball back on the GW 23.

1st Quarter, 9:43-The Richmond drive stalls in the red zone, but kicker Remington Hinshaw ties the game with a 32-yard field goal. Big kick for him after struggling last Saturday. Game now stands at 3-3.

1st Quarter, 10:52- Another long completion for Laub, this one to receiver Stephen Barnette goes for 20 yards, putting the ball at the GW 23. Spiders running hurry-up offense after both big plays to try to catch the defense napping.

1st Quarter, 12:10- Spiders move past midfield with the first big offensive play of the game, a 33-yard catch and run by FB Kendall Gaskins. He made the GW defender that tackled him pay too, running over him.

1st Quarter, 12:42- Laub and the offense re-take the field at the UR 23 following the kickoff.

1st Quarter, 12:49- Richmond defense saves its offense, nearly getting an interception of its own. Damage is minimized to a 33-yard field goal, putting Gardner-Webb on the board first, 3-0.

Quick note: Cooper Taylor is playing.

1st Quarter, 13:42- First pass of the season by John Laub in Robins Stadium is a bad one, going straight to Gardner-Webb LB Brian Wittenberger for the interception. Runnin' Bulldogs take over at Richmond's 25.

1st Quarter, 14:56- Richmond receives the ball to start the game, and returner Dominique Miller gets tackled at the UR 25, getting this game officially underway.

Pregame- The flip-flopping continues. Kickoff is pushed back to 7:23 p.m. again. I apologize for any confusion.

Pregame- Fans starting to file back into the stadium. A big drop off in numbers to what was expected with many fans leaving due to the delay. The student section is especially disappointing given the good showing in Charlottesville last weekend.

Pregame- Teams are back out there, and the rain has subsided. Interesting note: Richmond safety Cooper Taylor is suited up and looking like he's going to play. I wonder if the wet conditions may change Rocco's mind on letting his star player go today after missing last Saturday's game with an injury. Also, the game will now kickoff at 7:10 p.m.

Pregame- Just got word on a tentative schedule to resume play. The teams will come back onto the field at 6:50 p.m., the gates will open at 7 p.m. and kickoff will be at 7:23 p.m.

View from the press box of the rain. Photo courtesy of Nabila Khouri.

And here's Richmond starting QB John Laub warming up before the rain came. If the stadium is re-opened, he'll have to re-warm up.

In the meantime, check out my press box meal. This is my new pre-game tradition.

Pregame- Delay has just officially been announced until at least 6:45 p.m. More information to come as it gets to us.

Pregame- Rain is really coming down hard now. Early indications based on the radar predict this storm might last until 9 p.m. I'm not sure this game is going to get played tonight at this rate.

Pregame- Inclement weather is now delaying the start of this game, and Robins Stadium has been shut down until further notice. Everyone has been asked to leave the stadium. If and when the weather passes over, there will be 32 minutes until kickoff.

Pregame- Quick shout out to my Collegian mentor and predecessor in Spider football coverage Andrew Prezioso. It's his birthday today. Also, for everything you could want to know about this game, check out my GAME PREVEW.

Pregame- Spider football is back in Robins Stadium, just the third season since the on-campus field was constructed. The Richmond athletic department is reporting this as a sold-out game, so tonight's contest should be a loud one, especially early on. It should be interesting to see how both teams respond to the atmosphere during the first few series.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu