Running for RCSGA president to empower student voices

As students at the University of Richmond, we all know that this is a dynamic and changing place -- just as we learn and grow, so does our university evolve alongside us.

But, our time at Richmond is fleeting. This fact poses the following question to both you and me: How then, can we make a positive and lasting impact on our university, guiding its evolution, in the short time that we are here?

This is a question I have asked myself many times. As a result, during the last three years, I have endeavored to apply myself fully to all Richmond has to offer: academics, athletics and extracurricular activities.

Surrounding myself with these incredible opportunities and amazing people has been one of the great privileges of my life and has had an indelible impact on me.

But the most fulfilling aspects have been the chances that I have been given to contribute positively to this place I have called home for the last three years. Because of this, it is my hope that I can continue to serve our university and its students as the president of the Richmond College Student Government Association.

During the past few months, the administration has made decisions that have upset many members of the university community. As a member of the indoor and outdoor track and field teams, these decisions have directly affected me.

Because of this, as future university decisions are made, I want to ensure that the voice of the student body is heard and acts as a guiding force in the continuing evolution of our university. As students, we are only here for a short time.

But this fact should not deter students from participating in the decision-making process. Rather, it should empower us. Future students -- students just like us -- will be the ones affected by the decisions the university makes today, and it is our duty to ensure that their experiences here are every bit as fulfilling as ours have been.

I plan to accomplish this in two ways: by encouraging students to express their opinions freely and demanding that the administration be more willing to consider student recommendations.

To make sure students are heard, I will encourage students to come to RCSGA and Westhampton College Government Association meetings and get their opinions heard.

To form a nexus between the students and administration, I plan to hold open forums or town hall meetings with members of the administration and board of trustees, where students can directly provide their input and ask questions.

Additionally, I will work closely with WCGA to present a united front to the administration. Most importantly, as president, I will act as the voice that will empower students to give back to our university, a place that has already given so much to us. I hope I will have your vote.

Voting will take place next Tuesday, March 5, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please log into wwws/vote to cast your ballot. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at patrick.love@richmond.edu.