University of Richmond prepares for annual Pig Roast

Come tomorrow, campus will be swarming with Lilly Pulitzer dresses and pastel bow ties, a clear indication that Pig Roast weekend has arrived at Richmond.

Pig Roast has become a University of Richmond tradition over the years, commonly associated with warm weather, dressing up and daytime events at the lodges.

Five lodges will be open on New and Old Fraternity Row from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, said Meg Pevarski, director of Greek Life.

As in past years, student safety and the overconsumption of alcohol are main concerns for the administration.

Dean Juliette Landphair and Dean Joe Boehman both sent out their annual emails to the student body, detailing their expectations of students and the various rules in place in order to prevent too much drinking before and after the events at the lodges.

“Of course, another less fortunate ritual is a tendency for some students to drink too much. For the entire community, this poses serious safety concerns. Alcohol poisoning is the biggest risk of all,” Landphair wrote in her email.

According to the email, as in past years, no events with alcohol will be allowed to register in the residence halls or apartments this weekend. No alcohol is permitted in the residence halls on Saturday and there will be a visible police presence there to enforce.

There will also be a check-in station, checking IDs and swiping Spider Cards in order to track attendance, Boehman wrote in his email.

“My hope is for students to enjoy Pig Roast responsibly and safely. Enjoy yourself and your friends,” Landphair wrote.