SAE appoints new president amidst a legal investigation

<p>As it stands now, SAE will not be able to host an event at its lodge for this weekend's Pig Roast.</p>

As it stands now, SAE will not be able to host an event at its lodge for this weekend's Pig Roast.

Peter Donohue has replaced Tucker White as president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s Virginia Tau chapter three days after two Westhampton College students suffered injuries at a fraternity event and while the fraternity faces a legal investigation.

The two women fell off a balcony at SAE's away weekend in Wintergreen, Virginia, leading to serious injuries, one of their sorority sisters said. Both women are members of Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Rumors on SAE's fate swirled around University of Richmond's campus -- both on social media and through word of mouth -- after the women suffered injuries during the away weekend.

During a meeting Tuesday afternoon, Meg Pevarski, director of Greek life, instructed Donohue not to comment because of the ongoing investigation, he said. Pevarski declined to comment, and details on the ensuing investigation have not been made available to The Collegian.

Multiple members from SAE’s headquarters did not return messages.

Update 9:28 a.m. 04/08/15: The Collegian falsely reported the injury of a Westhampton College student, her close friend said. We have redacted the information that a woman suffered a broken vertebrae.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu