Vietnam War film series engages students in living history

<p>Associated Press reporters Peter Arnett and Kelly Smith pose in Phong Dinh Province, Vietnam circa 1966.</p>

Associated Press reporters Peter Arnett and Kelly Smith pose in Phong Dinh Province, Vietnam circa 1966.

The Vietnam War does not live in a history book. Fifty years after American involvement, the war lives and breathes within the memories of those who lived it.

"Documenting the Vietnam War," a film series launched by the department of journalism, offers students the opportunity to view and discuss films about the Vietnam War beside people who remember it. The series opened Wednesday night and included a Q&A session with Peter Arnett, a prominent journalist who won a Pulitzer for his Vietnam coverage.

Most of the audience filling Ukrop Auditorium was composed of community members, and many came to see the reporter behind stories they read during the war. They nodded when Arnett spoke of key figures and moments of the war.

It was an understanding that students rarely have the opportunity to witness themselves as history textbooks do not often spring to life.

"Documenting the Vietnam War" lets students engage with subjects of the history. About a dozen Vietnam veterans were in the audience on Wednesday, and many of them asked Arnett questions about the war.

"Mr. Arnett, can you believe it's been 50 years?" a community member asked.

Arnett covered the Vietnam War for the Associated Press, and both Gulf Wars for different outlets, such as CNN. Though he carries an esteemed reputation, Arnett spent most of Wednesday engaging with Richmond students over meals and in the classroom.

Sydney Reed, a Westhampton College sophomore, corresponded with Arnett while writing an essay about him her freshman year.

"It's just amazing to hear the stories, which were typed out to me, in person," Reed said. "I admire his courage."

Peter Arnett is a storyteller. His memories are lined with vibrant detail. The resilience and passion that fueled his Vietnam reporting is still evident when he describes the escapades of his youth.

"I think it's safe to say that Peter Arnett is a legend," journalism department chair Robert Hodierne said in his introduction. "A living legend."

The Vietnam film series will feature more living legends like Arnett, allowing students to not only bear witness to the exchange of experiences, but to engage in discussion.

The next film in the series is Platoon, and will be shown on September 23 at 7pm in Ukrop Auditorium. All screenings are free and open to the public.

Contact features assistant Kayla Solsbak at kayla.solsbak@richmond.edu