Spiders not slowed down by Rhode Island on the way to fifth straight win

The Richmond Spiders' offensive versatility was once again on display as the team steamrolled Rhode Island to earn its fifth straight win. 

The Spiders won 37-12 thanks to four rushing touchdowns from four different players--Jacobi Green, Kyle Lauletta, Seth Fisher and Gordon Collins--and a career-best throwing day from Lauletta, who threw for 312 yards and another touchdown. His favorite receiver on Saturday was Reggie Diggs, who also had a career-high 142 yards. 

"I'm just lucky to have Reggie," Lauletta said. "When they're going one-on-one like that and pressing man coverage, he's our guy. He's going to make the play more times than he doesn't."

Richmond's offense has been characterized by an ability to find weaknesses in the defense and exploit them, whether it be on the ground or through the air. On Saturday, six Spiders rushed for at least 15 yards and eight players caught at least one pass. That variety of talent will continue to be an asset for Richmond because it forces opposing defenses to choose who to focus on. 

Richmond's defense was also in full control for the fourth week in a row. Trevor Jones intercepted a pass and Omar Howard, who tied his career best of 18 tackles, recovered a fumble. 

"We keeping getting better and better," Howard told SpiderTV, referring to the defense. "I see young guys that are steeping up, they're getting that experience and they're stepping into big roles."

The Spiders are trending in the right direction as they head into their game against undefeated James Madison, the only CAA team ranked higher than Richmond. Richmond has forced nine more turnovers than it's given up, Lauletta has improved in each game and the Spiders are scoring most of their points in the first and fourth quarters, which demonstrates their ability to start and finish strong. 

"Our guys believe in where we're at and where we're going and what we're trying to get done," coach Danny Rocco said. "[The James Madison game] is a great opportunity for our program here."

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu