Popularity of ultimate fighting spreads to Richmond

Brian Grimes (top) of Richmond applies a hold on Jarrod Bryant (bottom) also of Richmond. Grimes went on to win the match.

In recent years, mixed martial arts and ultimate fighting have gained popularity across the country.

Television shows including "The Ultimate Fighter" and films such as "Kill Bill" have brought attention to martial arts.

There is a martial arts club on campus, but it's nothing like the cage fighting seen on TV.

In MMA — rapidly growing nationwide — fighters are separated into weight classes, as boxers or wrestlers would be. Fighters study a variety of martial arts such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai. They also draw upon boxing techniques and wrestling style submissions.

Early MMA and UFC fights were no-holds-barred. There were no time limits, fighters did not wear gloves and hits to any part of the body were legal.

Today, small fingerless gloves and mouth guards are required. There are three five-minute fights, with a one-minute break between rounds. If there is not a knockout or a submission within the three rounds the winner is determined by three judges. Judges give more points to the fighter that more effectively uses martial arts techniques and who they think had more control during the fight.

Here in Richmond, there has been an increased interest in MMA as more events are scheduled in the area.

"The MMA institute has fighters on every fight card," said Arvin Terrell, MMA institute trained fighter. The fight card is a list of competitors at an MMA event.

"Dana White having the reality show 'The Ultimate Fighter' has made MMA popular," said Joanna Catabui, Muay Thai instructor at MMA institute. "Having the show was all about exposure."

An MMA showcase, "Battle on Broad Street," was held Sept. 6 and sponsored by Valhalla 8 at the Siegel Center. The event featured 22 fights including the Valhalla Featherweight Championship.

The fights took place inside of a black cage with a bright yellow mat. Most of the fights went all three five-minute rounds, the fighters looking tired as they absorbed kicks and punches to their faces. There were a few fights that ended in knockouts after only a few seconds. As teeth flew out of fighter's mouths and blood and sweat escaped through the chicken-wire cage, these fights were definite crowd pleasers.

Most of the fighters were from Richmond or surrounding areas, although a few traveled from North Carolina and Pennsylvania to participate. The event drew a large crowd because Amir Sadollah, "The Ultimate Fighter" season 7 winner, made an appearance. Sadollah did not fight, but served as the commentator.

Sadollah was raised in Richmond and started practicing MMA about four years ago. He trained with Rick McCoy, the first MMA fighter in Richmond and head instructor at the MMA Institute.

"Since the institute opened a year and half ago, we have seen a steady increase in enrollment," Catabui said. "If that is because of increased knowledge of us in the area or just the increase in popularity, I can't say. The main draw has been guys that want to compete."

Contact reporter Tess Tallman at tess.tallman@richmond.edu