Saturday, May 04, 2024

Groups David stares down Facebook Goliath

Collegian Reporter

There's a new Facebook in town. The Richmond 'groups' site is up and running and is gaining popularity with faculty and students.

The site is similar to Facebook in the sense that a person has a profile and can request to be friends with someone. But what makes it stand out is that professors can create groups as a forum for class discussion and setting assignments.

The Web site was set up in May and there are a little over 1,000 members. It is an experiment that was created to be a platform for students and faculty that is less causal than Facebook, said Rachel Beanland, director of communications for the School of Arts and Sciences.

Since its launch, faculty and staff have been very responsive because most avoid Facebook.

"We are not trying to replace Facebook or Blackboard," said Matthew Levy, coordinator of assessment and technology operations for the School of Arts and Sciences.

To become a member you have to be invited and you can send a request to be invited by visiting the Web site, www.groups.richmond.edu. The site was created to encourage casual conversation between faculty and students, where as blackboard is for formal communicationof grades and assignments.

"But there are no restrictions," Beanland said, "anyone can start a group whether they are an official campus organization or not."

There are 83 groups already including the Jepson Service Project, Career Development Center, Resident Assistants and the Bonner Scholars. While, now, it mostly features academic groups, the Web site welcomes Greek organizations to create groups.

"I think it would be great for that," Levy said about Greek presence on the groups Web site.

"I use the Web site for one of my classes," Senior Courtney Heck said. "I missed an assignment because I could not figure out the Web site. As soon as I get used to using it, I think I will like it."

Because the Web site is relatively new, the communications department encourages student feedback. If there are any functions that students would like to see on the Web site, the creators are more than willing to make changes.

"We wanted to create a more interactive Web experience for you guys," Beanland said, "and the platform is extremely flexible."

Contact repoter Tess Tallman at tess.tallman@richmond.edu