Police Report: 3/26/09

Vandalism

March 3, 3:35 p.m. -- "Gray" was spray-painted on the back brick wall of an apartment in the 500 block of the University Forest Apartments. The damage was estimated at $5.

March 5, 9:44 a.m. -- The driver's-side mirror of a van rented by a university sports team was damaged somewhere off-campus. The damage was estimated at $200.

March 16, 8:54 a.m. -- A sliding glass door at the back of an apartment that houses Westhampton College students in the 600 block was smashed. The damage was estimated at $300.

March 22, 12:56 a.m. -- A parking sign and pole were pulled out of the ground near the 1900 block of the apartments. The damage was estimated at $100.

Swindle

March 18, 2:43 a.m. -- A male threw up in a cab before he entered Gray Court and then failed to pay the cab driver the $37.50 fare.

Larceny

March 5, 9:49 a.m. A university-owned 12 volt generator battery was stolen from C-lot sometime between Feb. 27 and March 5. The battery was estimated at $170.

Theft/Motor Vehicle Theft

March 17, 10:22 p.m. -- A BMW belonging to a male who is not associated with the university was stolen from X-lot and later found two rows and 10 spaces away from where it was originally parked. The man's jeans, valued at $40, green sweatshirt, valued at $15 and master key to his car, valued at $150, were stolen from a locker in the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness.

Theft

March 6, 4:58 p.m. -- The hood ornament, valued at $50, was stolen off a Richmond College student's Mercedes Benz on Keller Road.

March 13, 2:08 a.m. -- The glass on a vending machine in Gray Court was smashed and an estimated $20 worth of merchandise was stolen. The damage to the vending machine was estimated at $150.

Hit and Run

March 17, 4:49 p.m. -- The drivers-side door of a male student's Toyota Matrix was damaged in J-lot. The damage was estimated at $300.

March 19, 9:50 a.m. -- A "One Way" sign and post were knocked over in C Pines-lot. The university will replace the post, which was estimated at $20.

March 22, 9:25 a.m. -- A WC student ran over landscaping poles, causing an estimated $100 in damage to the poles and an estimated $4,500 in damage to her 2008 Saab. She was referred to the dean.

Burglary/Break and Entering

March 20, 11:11 a.m. The front door of the PIKA house on Fraternity Row was kicked down. The damage was estimated at $800.

Liquor Law Violation

March 21, 4:21 a.m. A WC student was referred to the dean for underage drinking in Lora Robins Court.

POLICE BRIEFS

UR police work with Henrico police at checkpoint; arrest 40

University of Richmond police worked with the Henrico County Division of Police to form a checkpoint on River Road between 10 p.m. on Saturday and 1 a.m. Sunday.

About 460 vehicles were checked, university police said, and 40 people were arrested on various charges including missing a front license plate, expired registration, failing to wear a seatbelt, consuming alcohol while driving and marijuana possession.

Police did not keep track of how many of the arrests were students.

VCU student charged with breaking and entering, stealing computers from CCE

Kevin Andrew Davis, 22, a VCU student who resides in Richmond, was arrested Tuesday by University of Richmond police in relation to a break-in at the Center for Civic Engagement office last Fall.

Davis is charged with one count of breaking and entering/burglary, grand larceny of two university-owned computers, grand larceny of a privately-owned computer and larceny of keys. Police searched his house and recovered some of the items.

The break-in occurred on Nov. 10, 2008, around 8 a.m. Two ThinkPad laptops and one MacBook Pro, paper and a flashlight were reported stolen, according to a Collegian police report. The damages were estimated at $5,011 at the time. The police have not released an amount since then.

Davis' case will be heard in Richmond City. A court date has not yet been set.

Contact staff writer Stephanie Rice at stephanie.rice@richmond.edu