Der follows brother, wins Goldwater Scholarship

Matt Der, a junior at Richmond, recently won a Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship.  He is pictured here in the Chinese Gardens in Sydney, Australia, where he is currently studying abroad.
Matt Der, a junior at Richmond, recently won a Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship. He is pictured here in the Chinese Gardens in Sydney, Australia, where he is currently studying abroad.

Four Univeristy of Richmond students have received a Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship during the past two years. Half of them were members of the Der family.

Junior Matt Der won this prestigious scholarship in the fields of mathematics, science and engineering, joining his brother, Bryan, a 2008 Richmond graduate, who received the same scholarship in 2007.

The scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books and room and board, up to $7,500 annually.

Der, who is currently studying abroad in Sydney, Australia, said finding out he had won the scholarship was a pleasant surprise.

"Since I am abroad," Der said, "I had no idea when the winners would be announced and actually forgot all about it. I only knew that I won it after I woke up one morning to some congratulatory e-mails."

Der, a double major in mathematics and computer science, knew he wanted to study math when he first came to Richmond.

"I want to use math to solve real-world problems," he said, "so I added computer science as a major because it is a direct application of math."

The online application process for the scholarship was pretty standard, with things like GPA, activities and honors. The most difficult part, Der said, was the essay that required the applicant to discuss a problem in mathematics, science or engineering that he or she was particularly interested in. For a Richmond student, he said, that came down to discussing the long-term research he has been doing.

"The essay was definitely the most difficult part," Der said. "Discussing intelligently and comprehensibly the research you've been looking at for a couple years and with which you are very familiar for an audience of non-specialists in your field is a challenging task."

Der conducted research with Professor Jim Davis during the summers after his freshman and sophomore years involving sequence design in wireless communication.

Nationwide, 1,097 undergraduates were nominated for the scholarship by college and university faculty members and Der was one of 278 students selected to receive the award.

In Sydney, Der is currently enjoying the freedom from academic pressure that comes with being a double major in mathematics and computer science.

"My course load is easier and work load lighter," he said, "which I am appreciating very much right now."

Contact reporter Sharon Tully at sharon.tully@richmond.edu