Experience of past exclusion drives chaplain finalist's desire for inclusive campus

The second finalist for university chaplain met with a full room of students, faculty and alumni Thursday afternoon and emphasized the importance of interfaith dialogue, interdependency and inclusion at the University of Richmond.

The Rev. Linda Morgan-Clement, currently the chaplain and director of interfaith campus ministry at The College of Wooster in Ohio, said that she would be inclusive with students -- no matter where they fell on the spectrum of faith -- through her staff, by providing opportunities for them to ask questions.

"I'm a team player," she said. "I'm trusting that with 13 campus ministers and staff members we'll have multiple doors that we can open. Together we can push open space."

As to whether acting chaplain Kate O'Dwyer Randall would be a part of her staff, Morgan-Clement said she hoped she would be.

"I would want her to stay," Morgan-Clement said. "I think her ministry here has been wonderful."

She said that although she's very comfortable counseling students, she would hope that O'Dwyer Randall would stay to counsel students and "keep doing what she does best."

As an adjunct member of the religious studies department at Wooster, Morgan-Clement brings with her the possibility of chaplain-taught religion courses at Richmond. While at Wooster she taught two courses -- Interfaith Dialogue and Feminist Theology. Although Richmond's previous chaplains haven't been professors, Morgan-Clement hasn't ruled it out yet.

"I don't plan [on teaching], but I'm hopeful," she said. "I'd have to wait a few years to get my feet on the ground, but I really love my teaching, and if I thought I'd have to give it up forever I'd have to go through a long grief process."

One of the subjects Morgan-Clement spoke most passionately about was inclusion, saying that creating a safe space was essential to the role of the chaplaincy.

"I pledge to you," she said to students, "we'll be there for you. We'll journey there."

Morgan-Clement said she was particularly passionate about inclusion because of her own past. Born in Hong Kong, she was abandoned by her birth parents in 1959. After 18 months, she was adopted into the United States.

"Having a medical record that says, 'no history,' has shaped me," she said. "My passion for inclusion comes from my experiences of exclusion."

She elaborated on her experiences of inclusion -- she became the oldest of six children, the youngest of which is African-American. Her father and four of her uncles are Presbyterian ministers, like she is.

Despite her Presbyterian upbringing, she was adamant that students and faculty of all faiths should feel included and valued by the chaplaincy.

"If we're going to be an inclusive community, we can't only be inclusive of some groups," she said. "That's sort of oxymoronic."

Senior Ashlee Murphy said she and other students appreciated that Morgan-Clement was open and easy to talk to, and believed she would make the chaplaincy "more visible and more of a safe space," such that students considered it a resource they could go to, despite their religious beliefs. Murphy attended a panel of six students invited by the President Edward Ayers' office to meet Morgan-Clement outside of the forum.

Junior Buddy Cassidy, who also attended the president's panel, said Morgan-Clement was impressive. He said she told the students she was ready and willing to tackle the problems at Richmond and that she seemed to have extensive plans to expand the chaplaincy to make it more accessible.

Reactions from the handful of students who attended the meeting were also positive. Westhampton College senior Juliette Jeanfreau said she felt energized by Morgan-Clement's enthusiasm and was excited that she could bring that to the chaplaincy.

"I thought she was really honest," said Zoe Silverman, a Westhampton College senior and student representative on the chaplain's search committee. "She wasn't just giving answers she thought the community wanted to hear and she was really genuine in her vision for the chaplaincy. That's been consistent since the beginning of the search."

The older crowd seemed pleased with Morgan-Clement as well, commenting at various points that she was both charming and adorable.

Tuesday's forum with the other candidate, the Rev. Craig Kocher, was similar in format to this meeting with Morgan-Clement -- a 15-minute speech followed by 45 minutes of questions from the audience, which included about 60 people. Morgan-Clement was at ease in front of the crowd, giving her speech without notes and taking the opportunity to make everyone laugh a few times.

She said that during her free time she liked to horseback ride, white-water raft and hoped to kayak on the James River.

"I'm learning to run," she said. "I'm not sure it's fun yet.... And I'm sure I could learn to love (the Spiders). But if you want your chaplain to tell jokes, that's one thing I can't do."

Jacki Raithel reported from the University of Richmond, and Stephanie Rice reported from San Diego.

Contact staff writers Jacki Raithel and Stephanie Rice at jacki.raithel@richmond.edu and stephanie.rice@richmond.edu