Students use NoNotes in classes

At least 11 students, and perhaps professors, at the University of Richmond are using NoNotes.com, an online audio transcription service, according to Matt Whitteker, director of business development for NoNotes.com.

Students record their classes, lectures or study and tutoring sessions and upload the file. Those who work for NoNotes.com will type up and send back their class notes in one to three business days, and will also share the class notes on its server for anyone else in — or otherwise interested in — that class, according to the NoNotes.com Web site.

One hour of class time costs $11.75, and students can purchase time packages up to 10 hours for $95.75 on the Web site. Students can also purchase a special package with five hours of audio time and an audio recorder.

Thousands of students at about 200 universities are registered at NoNotes.com, Whitteker said, though he added that not all were active.

Whitteker said that even teachers could benefit from NoNotes.com, noting that it would be a great tool for self-review.

"Many teachers teach the same subject many times," Whitteker said. "Having a transcription of lectures helps teachers refine their teaching, catch anything they may have missed and also lets them critically analyze the lecture for future improvement."

NoNotes.com, which started two years ago and went into global production last year, is currently available only in English, though the company has accounts in the United Kingdom and as far as New Zealand, Whitteker said.

Whitteker said that he didn't think there was a problem with students not taking their own notes.

"Our service lets you focus 100 percent on audio when it's delivered, then 100 percent as you read and review and pick out what is meaningful," Whitteker said.

Contact staff writer Stephen O'Hara at stephen.ohara@richmond.edu