Legends to sing classic Broadway songs at Modlin

Sophomore Keaton Cristobal dives face-first for the ball during a soccer game on the Intramural Fields while Topical Storm Hanna comes through Richmond. (Dan Petty/The Collegian)

Neil Berg's "101 Years of Broadway" will be presented at the Modlin Center at the University of Richmond on Nov. 1.

This will be the second year that Berg's Broadway revue makes an appearance at the Modlin Center. Berg's "100 Years of Broadway" played during the spring of 2008.

"People love musicals and people love Broadway," said the Modlin Center marketing director, Tiffanie Chan.

The show sold out last spring and was very popular with the Richmond community and the university community, she said.

Bill Luhrs, Modlin Center production manager, said: "I like these shows because I like the music. I also like seeing it all come together."

Berg is a composer and lyricist who created the music for the off-Broadway musical "The Prince

and the Pauper." He is currently composing music for new Broadway shows such as "The Twelve," "Grumpy Old Men: The Musical," "Fiona: The Mother Goose Musical," "Tim and Scrooge: A Carol for a Later Christmas" and "Heidi."

Berg's production of "101 Years of Broadway" is one of more than 1,000 Broadway revues that he has produced throughout the world.

All the performers in the revue have been on Broadway at some point, Chan said. Broadway legends such as Bernadette Peters, Betty Buckley and Michael Crawford have appeared in Berg's shows.

Audiences at the Modlin Center will hear a variety of beloved Broadway anthems in this year's

show. The line-up for "101 Years of Broadway" includes songs from shows such as "West Side Story," "Meet Me in St. Louis, Camelot," "South Pacific," "Les Miserables," "The Sound of Music," "The Phantom of the Opera" and many more.

Performances will be at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 1., in the Camp Concert Hall in the Booker Hall of Music. Tickets for students and faculty are $8 and $26. Tickets for adults are $34, tickets for seniors are $32 and tickets for children are $17.

Contact reporter Ryan Clark at ryan.clark@richmond.edu