Richmond's fight to stay healthy

It's officially fall here in Richmond, but with temperatures in the 70s one day and the 40s the next, it's hard to enjoy the season, especially when you and everyone else are sick.

The threat of the swine flu/H1N1 virus doesn't help matters much either. There have been days when almost half the students in one of my classes have been absent, mostly due to illness. The reality is, sickness is getting the best of us all, unusually early and fast. I've been sick quite a few times already this season, so I have decided to share a few of my experiences, in hopes that you can learn from my mistakes.

I woke up to a gorgeous 65-degree morning a few days ago. Naturally, I dressed accordingly, ditching the sweater I had planned to wear and replacing it with a short-sleeve blouse - BAD MOVE. Around 7 p.m., it felt more like 45 degrees. As soon as I got back to my dorm, I cranked up the heat. I slept in that following morning and woke up intertwined in sweat-drenched sheets. I checked the weather, surprised to see that it was expected to be 73 degrees at noon.

A few days after these drastic temperature extremes, a sore throat and stuffy nose ensued. Lesson learned: Never step outside without a parka, umbrella and flip-flops.

With swine flu on the rise, you would think people would be more cautious of germs, and a little more conservative with theirs, but I've seen quite the contrary on campus during the past few weeks. In D-Hall the other day, I had the oppportunity to sit next to someone (who shall remain nameless) who resorted to the infamous head turn, in lieu of covering his/her mouth, every time he/she coughed! Dear Nameless, a head turn just isn't going to cut it around here; cover it up or don't plan on sitting next to me (or anyone else, for that matter) at dinner tomorrow. Lesson learned: Keep enemies close, and Lysol and hand sanitizer even closer.

Outdoor allergies are also working against us in the fight to stay healthy. In fact, about a month ago, yours truly came down with a sinus infection because of allergies. It was much warmer then, and I spent most of my time outside. There are some days when the pollen outside gives me a throbbing headache, along with itchy eyes and sneezes (except when I sneeze, I have YOU in mind, and cover my mouth - now, where's my prize?!).

But I'm definitely not the only one suffering from allergies on campus. What are we allergy-sufferers to do, stay in our rooms forever, without even cracking a window? Lesson learned: Stay in your room forever, without even cracking a window.

I may not have discovered a cure for AIDS, but I think I may have cracked the code to win Richmond's current war against germs and sickness. Now, grab some Purell and gather your shorts and long johns and meet me at the front line.

Contact staff writer Kiara Lee at kiara.lee@richmond.edu