Gov. Kaine to teach courses in law, leadership

Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine announced today that he will return to the University of Richmond to teach courses at the T.C. Williams School of Law and the Jepson School of Leadership Studies beginning in the spring of 2010.

Kaine, who taught legal ethics in the law school from 1987-1993, made the announcement at a press conference this morning at the Jepson Alumni Center with President Edward Ayers.

Kaine said he was excited to begin the next chapter of his work life as he leaves the governor's office this January.

Kaine praised the Richmond Promise — the university's Strategic Plan — and its commitment to interdisciplinary studies. He shares Ayers' vision for the future of the university and looks forward to the opportunity to teach at two different schools, he said.

Kaine will teach one course each semester, beginning with a course in the Jepson School this spring titled, "Leadership Breakthroughs." Kaine said the course would examine the circumstances leading up to major leadership advancements from the 1930s through the 1950s. He will then teach a course in the Law School in the fall of 2010 and will likely continue alternating teaching assignments between the two schools, although a future plan is not yet concrete, he said.

Kaine brings valuable experience with him to the classroom, having served as a mayor of Richmond, and lieutenant governor and governor of Virginia.

Kaine, who has lived in Richmond for 25 years, was elected governor of Virginia in 2005 and took over in January 2009 as chairman of the Democratic National Committee. Kaine's national star had been on the rise since his name came up as a possible vice presidential running mate for President Barack Obama.

Kaine also delivered the commencement address to the class of 2009 last May and served as a leader-in-residence at the Jepson School while he was mayor of Richmond in 1999.

Ayers sent a campus-wide e-mail this morning to announce Kaine's return to the university.

This story will be updated.

Contact staff writer Jimmy Young at jimmy.young@richmond.edu