It's a jungle out there - literally

The rabid fox. The studious raccoon, trying to get into the library. The bats and the opossums, out and about with you every Friday night while you're looking for a good party. Who can forget the ducks, who ALL decide to make their mass exodus from the lake to the big hill in front of the library as soon as they see you coming, rushing to your 8:15 a.m. class?

When I first came here last fall, I was under the impression that I would be spending the next four years in school, but lately, campus has been looking more like Animal Kingdom than a college.

Do you ever wonder where that constant dying moan/meow comes from in the bushes by the Lora Robins Art Gallery? No, it's not part of an exhibit in the gallery; it's from one of the university's newest residents, the black cat. If you haven't seen the black cat yet, don't worry. I'm sure you will meet him/her one day when you least expect it, whether you're near the Lora Robins Art Gallery, leaving the Commons or headed to Ryland or Jepson. Yes, this cat gets around, and it looks like he/she isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

How about the fearless squirrels that abound on our campus? Who the hell do they think they are anyway? Aren't squirrels supposed to be afraid of people? Unfortunately, things have taken a turn for the worst here at the University of Richmond, as our squirrels have adopted the "park squirrel" persona. These squirrels fear nothing but fear itself. They will approach with nothing to lose, and walk alongside you like a friend. These "friendly" squirrels may be a treat for all you animal lovers, but they are a nuisance to the rest of us. Just be sure to look and not touch. Do not let these "treats" treat themselves to your food or flesh.

When someone mentions Westhampton Lake, you don't think of its splendor or its "Gazebo kiss" tradition anymore. Now, only one thing comes to mind: DUCKS. The ducks have taken over the lake, and are now attempting to take over the school. They almost never roam alone. In fact, they can roll around 20 deep. Intimidated much? Well you should be! These traffic-stopping ducks yield to no one. I hope you have all your ducks in a row, because they surely do.

Let's all hope that there is enough room for us students this time next year. I hope the birds and the bats, the squirrels and the snakes, and the raccoons and the rabid fox don't get priority housing, or else WE will be in the trees while the animals take over the rest of the campus.

Contact staff writer Kiara Lee at kiara.lee@richmond.edu