Lest we forget, R. Crumb: The controversy

I had never even heard of Robert Crumb before Tuesday, when we tried to find someone to cover the event for The Collegian. In the end, it wasn't covered, but then Tim Patterson submitted his opinion piece. Now, I have done what I can to read up on the subject -- I read all of the submitted opinions and those on the Facebook page, "Protest Crumb at UR."

Here is what I know:

As far as facts go, the university paid Crumb to come speak and promote his new book. Some professors required students to go to the event and assigned his work in class.

Here is my response:

Instead of arguing why the university should or should not have paid Crumb to promote his book, I think this situation should be used instead to promote awareness of rape and sexual assault.

One in six women are raped sometime during their lives, according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network. One in six! And it's even more frequent on college campuses. Women in college are four times more likely to be raped than any other age group. Last semester I wrote a story about a girl who had reported being raped on campus and decided not to press charges. I learned there were likely 51 women sexually assaulted on campus every year, but that was only an estimate based on national statistics. Why no specifics? Because sexual assault and rape are underreported. Lt. Adrienne Murray of the University Police Department told me it would be a success if one case were brought to court and won. And women are not the only ones. According to RAINN, one in 33 men have been sexually assaulted some time during their lives.

It is likely on this small campus that you know, or are, a victim.

Every person on this campus should know there are people you can go to if you are sexually assaulted. The deans are a great option, as is the Chaplaincy and the police department. You do not have to press charges if you do not want to, and every person/organization I mentioned has to keep your information confidential. Do what you can to get help. If you know someone who was assaulted, do what you can to get him/her help. People should not have to feel alone or powerless if they are attacked, and we as a society need to do what we can to prevent sexual assault. I don't quite know what that is, but I hope those who at least have an idea are doing something.

Contact staff writer Stephanie Rice at mailto:stephanie.rice@richmond.edu