Shields looks beyond election results in loss

Despite his loss to Del. John O'Bannon III in the 73rd House of Delegates race, Democratic challenger and Richmond leadership studies professor Tom Shields remained optimistic and upbeat at a gathering of his supporters during election night.

"The point of democracy is not always winning," Shields said at a campaign gathering this evening at The Tavern restaurant. "It's making sure people are dialoguing about issues."

After thanking supporters for their hard work and energy, Shields accentuated the positive aspects of his campaign, which raised nearly $300,000, according to the Virginia Public Access Project. He was also pleased to have provided Henrico County voters with a clear alternative to O'Bannon, R-Henrico, who Shields said would now have to prove himself to his constituents after Shields held up his record on jobs, education and other issues.

O'Bannon, who originally won a seat in the House of Delegates in 2000 following a special election, will now begin his fifth full term as a delegate. Until this year, O'Bannon had run unopposed during three of the four elections in which he had participated. Shields said he thought voters respected him and appreciated the challenge he provided O'Bannon, even if they chose not to vote for him.

"[The election] shows that people like the dialogue," he said. "They like the discourse. They like the opportunity to choose among candidates who have a good conversation about the issues."

Even though Shields appreciated the dialogue he had had with O'Bannon, he said he felt that O'Bannon and some of his supporters thought he did not have the right to run against the four-term incumbent.

"How do you not believe that it's the function of democracy not to have someone be competitive in a race?" Shields said. "Just because someone's been in there for 10 years ... how do you not believe that the seat should at least be competitive?

"What's important is that someone gave O'Bannon a rigorous fight."

Many of Shields' supporters appreciated the opportunity to voice their opinion for a different candidate.

"Tom just has the right-mindedness about how things are supposed to work for the greater good of the whole state," said Debbie Brumitt, who voted for Shields because of his positions regarding jobs, transportation and family issues.

Vicki Wilson, a professor at the VCU School of Education, said she had met Shields at professional meetings and shared many of the same opinions with him. She described the difference between O'Bannon and Shields as yesterday and tomorrow.

"The fact that he's a father, an educator and is very forward-thinking helps," she said.

Throughout the campaign, Shields emphasized the importance of job creation, education and putting aside partisan politics.

Contact staff writer Jimmy Young at jimmy.young@richmond.edu