Spiders advance in WNIT

The No. 14 University of Richmond women's basketball team upset No. 3 University of Delaware 67-49 on Thursday night during the opening game in the Women's National Invitational Tournament.

Richmond entered the tournament with a 6-6 record in the WNIT, making its second appearance under coach Michael Shafer. The Spiders recorded their best postseason in 2001 when they advanced to the semifinals before falling to Creighton. Richmond entered the tournament this year looking to improve upon its third-round appearance in last year's tournament.

Richmond and Delaware traded baskets during the first two minutes of the game, until the A-10 Sixth Player of the Year, sophomore Abby Oliver, hit a 3-pointer, putting her team ahead for the remainder of the game. The Spiders ended the first half with a 40-22 lead.

The Spiders continued their success during the second half and with 16 minutes left to play, the A-10 All-Conference Brittani Shells hit a two-point jumper to put her team up by 25.

Delaware cut the lead to 14 with three minutes left to play, but it would never get back within 10 points of the Spiders.

Richmond played efficient basketball as the team shot 53 percent from the field and 56 percent from 3-point range. Oliver and Shell scored over half of Richmond's points, as each booked 18. In contrast, Delaware shot 28 percent from the field.

The Spiders also had a strong rebounding presence from junior Crystal Goring. Goring had 13 rebounds, eight of which were at the offensive end.

Richmond now has a 19-12 record. The Spiders will play Syracuse in the second round on March 22.

Contact reporter Brenton Lewis at brenton.lewis@richmond.edu