Richmond baseball sweeps VCU, first time since 2002

Students in Asian Beat, the Asian hip-hop dance group on campus, learning coreography from senior Jackie Lee who started the group with three friends in 2007. (Toma Pigli/The Collegian)

The University of Richmond baseball team once again came from behind to defeat its cross-town rival Virginia Commonwealth University by a score of 9-8 on Tuesday night. The game was Richmond's second victory over the Rams this season, marking a 2-0 sweep for the Farm Bureau Black & Blue Classic.

"They've had our number for a while, so it's great that we swept the series," said Richmond coach Mark McQueen, referring to the 10 game win streak that VCU had against the Spiders going into this season.

"We played a lot better and with more energy today."

Junior Billy Barber drew first blood, hitting an RBI double that put the Spiders up by one in the first inning. This marked the 20th consecutive game with a hit for Barber, who would go on to finish with three hits during four at bats. He also scored three times.

"He's on fire right now," McQueen said.

The Rams would retaliate in the second inning, scoring three runs off three hits before three consecutive outs. The runs would put them up 3-1 and Richmond would not surpass them again until the ninth inning.

VCU built on its lead in the third, scoring two runs off three hits, with one coming off a deep shot from sophomore center fielder Paul Nice.

However, Richmond was able to match their rival with two runs of their own in the bottom of the third, as sophomore short stop Adam McConnell hit a line drive single and scored on a home run by junior first baseman Mike Mergenthaler. The inning came to a close with the Spiders down 5-3.

The Spiders substituted freshman left-handed pitcher Shawn O'Neil for junior righty Billy Falasco to start the fourth. Falasco retired having thrown 58 pitches, allowing six hits and five runs scored.

VCU built upon its lead with a one run and one hit inning in the fourth and Richmond failed to produce any offense of their own, ending their turn at bat with only one hit.

After a scoreless top of the fifth for the Rams, the Spiders rallied to score three runs. Barber recorded his second double with a shot to left field and was driven home by senior third basemen Cameron Brown. Sophomore right fielder Chris Cowell then cleared the bases

with a two run home run, tying the game at six apiece.

Senior right-handed pitcher Jay Joines replaced Shawn O'Neil at the mound. O'Neil exited the game having thrown 38 pitches for two hits and one run.

VCU junior Michael Cheatam opened the inning with a home run. After the second batter walked, Richmond replaced Joines with senior lefty Brian Farrell. Farrell walked his first opponent and then both runners advanced on a wild pitch. The top of the inning closed with a sacrifice pop fly for a run and unassisted ground out at first.

The Spiders closed the sixth inning with zero runs and zero hits, putting the Rams ahead by a score of 8-6.

Farrell hit a batter to open the seventh inning and allowed a single before being replaced by freshman right-handed pitcher Jolmi Minaya-Suriel. Richmond returned to the dugout without forfeiting a run after two infield plays and a strike out.

The Spiders rallied to score two runs in the bottom of the seventh as Barber hit a deep ball down the line for his second double of the day. Brown then drove Barber home with a single to left center. Cowell then added to the offense with another single to center field, advancing the runner to second. Senior Even Stehle then hit a single to send the tying run home, before a strikeout and a pop fly concluded the two run, four-hit inning.

Richmond replaced Minaya-Suriel with junior right-hander Matt Trent at the mound and entered the eighth with the score tied at eight. VCU and Richmond played a scoreless inning with zero hits.

Senior right-handed closer Jared Bard entered the game for Richmond and pitched a scoreless, one hit top of the inning.

Barber opened the bottom of ninth inning by getting hit by a pitch. VCU then walked Brown, putting the winning run on second. Senior pinch hitter Chris Cuppia then advanced the runners to second and third with a sacrifice bunt.

With Barber in scoring position, Stehle hit a walk-off sacrifice fly to center field, allowing the winning run to come home and ending the game, 9-8.

The win marked the seventh come-from-behind victory this season for the Spiders.

"We've had some controversy off the field and the roster we have is just starting to click," Barber said. "It's taught us how to deal with adversity."

Barber currently holds the seventh-longest hitting streak in the country and he surpassed Mergenthaler's 19-game hitting streak, which he set as a freshmen.

"It's just nice to get three hits in a winning effort, especially against VCU," Barber said.

Richmond continues play against George Washington University at 3 p.m. Friday.

Contact staff writer Brenton Lewis at brenton.lewis@richmond.edu