Mooney to stay at Richmond

Men's basketball coach Chris Mooney will sign a seven-year contract extension with the school on Monday that will keep him with the Spiders through 2017.

The deal was first reported by ESPN's Andy Katz on his Twitter page and a report on FoxSports.com. The deal was announced by the athletic Web site shortly after the first reports on Friday night.

Mooney has been linked to coaching jobs at other schools this offseason, most recently the job at Boston College. Mooney interviewed with BC but the contract extension takes him out of the running for that job.

Mooney coached Richmond to a 26-9 record and a No. 7 seed in the 2010 NCAA Tournament. The 26 wins were the most in a single season in school history. The team also beat every team in the Atlantic 10 Conference and reached the A-10 Tournament final.

Richmond has gone 83-79 over Mooney's five-year tenure. He also was head coach at the Air Force Academy for one year before being hired by Richmond. He went 18-12 during his lone year for the Falcons.

Three starters return from last year's team, including AP All-American honorable mention Kevin Anderson.

Mooney signed an undisclosed contract extension last March before he coached his team to the semifinals of the CBI semifinals.

This story will be updated with more information.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu