Scholarship fund set up for Jamie and Paige Malone

The University of Richmond established a memorial scholarship fund in memory of Jamie and Paige Malone Saturday morning, after donations to a building fund in New York reached their goal in just one day.

Initially, the family had asked that donations be given to a building fund for Camp Anchor, but the support for that fund was so substantial that it reached its goal by Saturday morning. As a result, the Malone family contacted President Edward Ayers to set up a scholarship fund to honor Jamie and Paige.

"The outpouring of support had been so great on the Camp Anchor building that they wanted to show their gratitude for the role that the University has played in their family," Ayers said. "I contacted folks here and I think within an hour we had the fund set up."

Ayers said the Malone family thanked him for placing information about the Camp Anchor donations on the University Web site and then asked that donations be redirected toward the scholarship fund, called The Jamie and Paige Malone Memorial Fund.

According to the University's Web site, the family requested that the scholarship be set up, "so that another young woman can be given the chance to have her dreams come true at the school that is such a part of this family."

Contributions should be directed to:

The Jamie and Paige Malone Memorial Fund

Advancement Service

Richmond Hall, G-18

28 Westhampton Way

Richmond, VA 23173

The funeral service for the Malones will be held on Monday at 9:30 a.m. at Our Lady of Victory in Floral Park. A prayer service will be held at the same time on Monday on campus in the Cannon Memorial Chapel, and it is open to the public. Visitation will be held at Dalton Funeral Home in Floral Park on Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 2-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. each day.

Contact staff writer Reilly Moore at reilly.moore@richmond.edu