Monday, May 06, 2024

CDC receives bronze ranking for LGBTQ support

The University of Richmond's Career Development Center received a bronze ranking from Out for Work, an organization that works with college career centers to improve the quality of support for LGBTQ students transitioning from school to the workplace.

Out for Work distributed the survey — its first — to 1,500 colleges throughout the United States last spring. One hundred and thirty nine colleges responded.

The survey asked career centers questions about resources available to LGBTQ — Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer — students throughout the job search.

The survey questions were specific as to whether the CDC offered counseling for LGBTQ students who were struggling to come out, whether the school provided funding for LGBTQ conferences and whether networking opportunities were catered specifically to LGBTQ students.

"I think the CDC has always been an ally for the LGBT community," said Johanna Gehlbach, a junior involved in LGBTQ organizations on campus. "I've been there a bunch of times and they're always supportive."

The CDC scored four out of twelve possible points. Schools that scored zero still received a bronze ranking for their recognition of LGBTQ issues in finding a job. Fewer than 5 percent of schools in the preliminary survey were awarded a gold-level ranking.

Once a school receives certification, OFW works with career centers to implement LGBTQ initiatives.

The CDC is busing students to Washington, D.C., on the weekend of Sept. 25-26 for the annual OFW National Conference, during which time Tim Gunn from "Project Runway" will speak. Attending conferences will ensure the Richmond will receive a higher ranking in the future.

Joslyn DiRamio Bedell, assistant director of the CDC, said that students were excited about the conference. The trip was planned by Common Ground, an organization at Richmond that seeks to create a safe environment for LGBTQ students, in partnership with the CDC.

"We've partnered up with Common Ground and they're really excited that we became an Out for Work career center," Bedell said. "We're going to have a really good time up at the conference."

All CDC advisors are "Safezone"-trained, which ensures they create a safe and inclusive environment for LGBTQ students. The CDC is working to implement more programs, such as posting resources for LGBTQ students online, which should guarantee Richmond a higher ranking in the future.

"If there aren't visible signs that we care, it can feel very scary for a student," Bedell said. "Any time the university can be more active in supporting all of our students on campus, the more it becomes a safe place."

Gehlbach said she thought the CDC was taking steps in the right direction but should continue to be proactive in the supporting the LGBTQ community.

"It's very notable that the university did participate but at the same time it needs to be used as a benchmark," Gehlbach said. "It's a step, but it's a baby step."

Not only will the OFW accreditation help current LGBTQ students feel more comfortable about the job search, it will also draw more perspective LGBTQ students knowing that resources are available.

"To hang this [bronze ranking] on our wall and be able to put this in the news that we are a place where LGBTQ students can be safe and talk about their issues or whatever they're worried about, it helps trickle down to current students and to future students," Bedell said.

To view the survey and read more about OFW and its initiatives, go to http://www.outforwork.org/ .

Contact reporter Julie Crandell at julie.crandell@richmond.edu