GreenUR sells bike inventory within one hour

Nearly an hour after GreenUR's bike sale began, all 13 bikes were sold.

Braving what would normally be considered an early morning, Richmond students gathered in the Forum before 9 a.m. on September 7 in anticipation of GreenUR's used bike sale.

The rapid sales revealed an increased need for inexpensive and reliable transportation on campus. GreenUR, the premiere organization focused on environmental issues, will use the funds from the bike sale to further its mission of conservancy.

According to the club president, Jerry Giordano, the intent of the sale was "to bring affordable bikes to campus."

This particular sale also built off of GreenUR's success with its existing efforts to provide free bikes on campus. This free bike program, announced across campus by the "Green Bike Program" has proven both popular and beneficial to the club's campus presence.

Giordano noted that after taking stock of donations, GreenUR decided to sell each bike at a flat rate of $25, a true bargain compared to bike prices at other Richmond bike venders. As an added bonus, locks were available for purchase for students who want to secure their new bikes.

Bike task-force leader, Parker Hawkins, said that he has been available for free bike repair at the recreation and wellness center. Any bike in need of repair can be serviced, including those brought from home, Hawkins said.

When asked to describe other GreenUR projects on campus, Giordano paused to first describe the club's recent rise in membership, noting, "We have about 40 active members, double the amount from last year ... with a lot of interest from freshmen."

In order to accommodate this rise in interest, the club has split into five task-forces to focus on particular issues of environmental concern.

Among these concerns are: the apartment compost operation, the "dorm war" energy competition, submitting plans for a student garden, solar panels, a clothing swap, and a recycle sale.

Hawkins agreed that the success of the sale was due in part to word of mouth.

"We did advertise but not that that much," Hawkins said.

As more people participate eco-friendly campaigns across the country, the Richmond community can count on GreenUR to lead the local charge for a more environmentally conscious student body proud to mount their bikes and ride off to class.

Contact reporter Erik Lampmann at erik.lampmann@richmond.edu