Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Kaine encourages discussion at Ethics Symposium

Through inquiry and discussion it is possible for Americans to take advantage of increasing diversity and make moral decisions regarding the future of the nation, said former Virginia governor Tim Kaine at the university's Ethics Symposium Sept. 20 in the Jepson Alumni Center.

Kaine's keynote speech closed out a day of events including talks given by Betsy Myers, former COO for President Obama's presidential campaign; Douglas Kysar, a professor at Yale Law School; and other prominent academics and business executives.

According to a description on the university's website, the "Evolving Perspectives on Ethics conference at the University of Richmond [drew] upon diverse audiences and different disciplines to examine changing perspectives in ethics in politics, law, business, and leadership."

As Provost Steve Allred summarized, Governor Kaine served in public office for almost all of the last two decades, drawing praise for his management of the state of Virginia during his tenure as governor from 2006 to 2010.

Toward the end of his administration, Kaine accepted a nomination to serve as the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, a position he continues to hold today.

He has joined the university faculty, electing to hold a dual appointment at the university's T.C. Williams School of Law and the Jepson School of Leadership Studies.

Kaine began his speech by announcing his focus on the "common good in an increasingly diverse society."

He noted with dismay the divisive arguments playing out in the media and across society over the "construction of the mosque in lower Manhattan, ... issues dealing with immigration ... and the [evolving] definition of marriage" as evidence of a collective failure to debate diversity within a moral framework.

In an effort to prove the increasing diversity present in American life, Kaine cited the increasing popularity of languages other than English being spoken at home, the rise in the proportion of Americans that identify as Hispanic, Asian-American or African-American, and an increasing diversification of religious preferences.

Noting these fundamental differences among Americans, Kaine advocated for a new ethical model.

Asking whether or not a universal truth pervaded all of America's cleavages, he noted: "Is there a common standard we can all appeal to? And is there an umpire we won't argue with?"

Kaine proceeded through his argument, leading the audience through philosophical and Jeffersonian references to historical precedent. Echoing Thomas Jefferson, he noted, "We have faith that debate illuminates principle and defeats error." He later continued, "Diversity is not something you fear ... it helps us learn as we go."

As an example for his model Kaine cited the increase in debate over the possible legalization of gay marriage in the United States, saying, "It's opened up discussion, it's opened up points of view."

From student reaction it appears that Kaine's message was well-received. Victoria Lyon, a member of the Leadership and the Common Good sophomore Living-and-Learning community, felt the address reflected the topics of frequent class discussions.

"I think it is refreshing to hear that diversity is something that needs to be [valued]," Lyon said.

In an e-mail, Gov. Kaine said: " ... I have been thinking hard about another dimension of ethics, namely how we can even reach ethical and moral judgments as a society that is increasingly diverse. The American citizenry is composed of people from so many different backgrounds that the very effort to reach consensus can be seen as problematic."

Contact reporter Erik Lampmann at erik.lampmann@richmond.edu