The Cellar introduces new menu options, policies

As dozens of seniors walked to class on Thursday morning, they sported the same fluorescent wristband on their arms. Regardless of the fact that they were hungover, or tired, or just plain regretful that they spent the majority of their Dining Dollars the night before, most seniors on campus were excited about the re-opening of The Cellar.

The on-campus, student-run restaurant and bar opened on Friday, Aug. 27. This year, students and faculty will see some changes from the menu to the policies.

"We hope, with the addition of some healthier options and putting some old items to rest, we will see a new enthusiasm about the food," said Bev Binns, senior manager at The Cellar. "We hope to be completely trans-fat free by next year."

Some healthy additions to the menu include the Fruit and Nut Salad; Havarti, Apple and Walnut Panini; and Veggie Wheat Penne.

"I think they're just trying to overall step it up a notch," said Mike Liedtka, a senior server at The Cellar.

Senior Tori Schwetz, who is in her fourth year serving at The Cellar, agreed with Liedtka. To Schwetz, the biggest change to the restaurant is the menu, and she hopes it generates a positive response with the students.

"I'm hoping that people are a lot more open-minded about it," Schwetz said, "because most people treat The Cellar as sort of a fast food place. But I've always liked the food there.

"I think with all these other options, we'll hit a broader range of students."

The Cellar management also changed payment options at the restaurant and bar.

"We are changing to a 'cash' bar unless you are paying with a credit card or having a meal, during the busier shifts," Binns said.

With the new payment policy, students will still be able to use Dining Dollars, Binns said. But, this year, they will pay for each purchase at the time of the sale. The Cellar will no longer accept meal swipes, but with more Dining Dollars on meal plans, that shouldn't pose a problem.

And it seems that the change has been positive for The Cellar

"We are seeing a trend in increased business," Binns said.

The Cellar staff members have also tightened some alcohol policies. The bottom line is to ensure The Cellar is a safe environment for everyone. So, those with fake identification will be punished.

"For freshmen especially, don't fake it," Schwetz said. "You'll get caught and you'll get in big trouble. It gets the waiters in trouble, it gets the kids in trouble, and it's just pointless."

According to Virginia ABC law, no customer is allowed to bring in alcohol to the restaurant. Also, no person under the age of 21 may be sold alcohol. Any person who appears drunk is not welcome to enter the Cellar bar or restaurant area.

"We will uphold the ABC laws," Binns said. "Expect the dreaded X on your hand if you are not 21 years old. It is the university's policy. We will uphold that."

Staff members and management at The Cellar plan to take even more precaution on Wednesday nights, when many students head to the bar to enjoy drinks with friends.

"Everybody goes, and starts out eating and ends up drinking," Schwetz said. "It's pretty much all seniors, and you get there at 8 p.m. and you stay 'til midnight."

Binns added: "It has become a great night for the senior class to gather on campus after classes and be stress-free with friends."

It's a place where you can have a beer with your consultant at the speech center while your lab partner from sophomore year's chemistry class serves you both burgers and fries.

The defensive line on the football team can sit and chat with fraternity brothers. Worlds are said to collide at The Cellar, and that's what students seem to love most.

"It's kind of a place where everyone can gather," Liedtka said. "People who don't normally hang out with each other, all different kinds of people, can come together on very random nights and just have a good time."

Contact Julia Pepe at julia.pepe@richmond.edu