Women's tennis gets first shut out of season vs. West Virginia

The University of Richmond women's tennis team defeated West Virginia University 7-0 Friday. It's Richmond's first shutout of the season.

Junior Alexandra Smyth and freshman Elizabeth Sims helped secure the doubles point with an 8-1 win over their opponents.

"We both played really well," Smyth said. "Having two tall girls is such an advantage."

Smyth and Sims used an I-formation strategy to control the net.

"We've been doing I-formation a lot lately," Smyth said. "The move confuses the returner and we can basically reach wherever we want."

Sims said she and Smyth clicked really well together, ensuring their doubles win.

"We set them up with big serves," Sims said.

The team swept singles without dropping a set. Junior Helen Cunningham defeated her opponent in a second set tiebreaker.

Sims won at number six singles 6-2, 6-2.

"I played aggressive like I've been practicing," she said. "I really converted on big points."

Smyth also won her singles match, dropping just three games against her opponent. Smyth said she thought she played so well because she had a cold.

"Given the circumstances, I thought I played really well," she said. "But I usually play better when I'm sick."

Joanna Matuszczyk, Sydney Grant, and Kelly Tidwell were also victorious in singles for the Spiders.

West Virginia had its lone win at number one doubles against Matuszczyk and Grant.

The Spiders improved their record to 9-4 with their fifth straight victory.

Contact staff writer Avery Shackelford at avery.shackelford@richmond.edu