Justin Harper drafted by Cavs, traded to Magic

University of Richmond senior Justin Harper goes to block a shot during the second-round NCAA men's basketball tournament game at Pepsi Center in Denver on Thursday, March 17, 2011. (Anna Kuta/The Collegian)

Former University of Richmond forward Justin Harper was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the 32nd overall pick in the second round of the NBA Draft Thursday night.

His Cleveland career was short lived though, as the Cavaliers then traded his rights to the Orlando Magic for a pair of future second round draft choices.

Harper is the first Richmond forward drafted since Johnny Newman was selected in the 1986 draft, also by the Cavs.

Harper averaged 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game over his four year career as a Spider, including career highs of 17.9 points and 6.9 rebounds per game his senior season, as he helped Richmond reach the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

The Cavs made Harper their first selection of the second round and third overall in this draft. Their first two picks were Kyrie Irving of Duke University (1st overall) and Tristan Thompson from University of Texas (4th overall).

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu