Live blog: President Obama at University of Richmond

12:01 p.m.: Obama has just finished his speech, crowd on its feet.

12 p.m.: Obama getting crowd on its feet by asking them to contact its representatives by any means to pass his bill.

11:54: Obama says that there needs to be more than the American Jobs Act. Asks for a more stable economy not based on housing bubbles or Wall Street "shenanigans."

11:53 a.m.: Obama: "I'm not attacking anybody, it's simple math."

11:52 a.m.: Obama: "We have to ask the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share." Met with a rousing applause. Obama admits that he pays high taxes and that he doesn't like it and it's met with laughter in the stands. It's part of plea to get the wealthier Americans pay more taxes.

11:52 a.m. Obama: "I believe we need to do more to boost jobs in the short term and reduce debt in the long term."

11:49 a.m.: Obama proposes to extend unemployment insurance by another year.

11:47 a.m.: Obama now addressing small business owners and the tax breaks they would get from the bill.

11:46 a.m.: Main theme of Obama's speech so far has been how his jobs bill will impact the education system and allow for more teachers to be hired. Now, he shifts the focus to veterans.

11:45 a.m.: "USA! USA!" chant breaks out as Obama mentions better roads and railroads should be built in the USA, not China

11:43 a.m.: Obama mention a story of a woman he just met before taking the podium of she teaches eighth grade and her schoolroom is in a trailer. Obama says that's unacceptable and classrooms should be better.

11:42 a.m.: Obama appealing to the crowd to get involved: "Everyone of your voices is important." The outlining of who will get jobs in the plan (teachers, veterans, etc.) is met with loud cheering.

11:41 a.m.: First mention of American Jobs Act is met with some applause, but with the mention of how Congress should pass it right away -- a staple of his speech last night -- is met with larger applause.

11:40 a.m.: "You expect action and you deserve it right now." That is met with applause.

11:39 a.m.: Obama's mention that people have the right to be upset with Washington and that people need jobs is met with a chorus of "Amen" or "Hear, hear".

11:39 a.m.: "The people of Virginia have an innate optimism and a can-do attitude"

11:37 a.m.: Obama thanks former Virginia governor and current UR professor Tim Kaine, who was the first to endorse Obama outside of the state of Illinois. The crowd gets loud at the mention of Kaine.

11:36 a.m.: Each mention of the word 'Richmond' elicits a big cheer from the audience, along with the mention of UR President Ed Ayers.

11:35 a.m.: Massive roar from the crowd, which is not completely on its feet and tons of pictures being taken as Obama gets to the podium and says hello to Richmond.

11:34 a.m.: Richardson talking about more funding for Richmond public schools and what it does to benefit the students.

11:33 a.m.: Crowd gets on its feet as it thinks that Obama is about to enter. Richardson remains talking and the crowd sits back down.

11:31 a.m.: Nigel Richardson is now introducing President Obama, causing the crowd to grow silent and flashbulbs to pop from digital cameras in the stands.

11:27 a.m.: Somebody just walked up to the microphone, causing a few people in the stands to start applauding, but he left before saying a word. Still no sign of Obama.

11:21 a.m.: The Robins Center, which holds about 9,000 people, is almost full, with only a few rows open at the very top of the arena and some sections completely empty that are behind the giant American flag that will be behind Obama when he gets on the podium. There is also a gallery in front of the podium filled with special guests, including Richmond basketball coach Chris Mooney and former NBA player Johnny Newman, a former Spider.

11:16 a.m.: The president is not yet at the Robins Center but the crowd is getting ready. There have been attempts at doing the wave (which after a few unsuccessful tries was done by all in attendance at the Robins Center) and cheers of "Obama! Obama!" or in support of UR or VCU have broken out.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@eichmond.edu